Notices

Craving!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving!!!

I just was just out with a friend and walked past a shop where I used to buy alcohol and a bar I used to drink at and now I'm craving a drink.

I'm on day 13 of being sober and this is the first craving I've had.

The only thing that's stopping me drinking now is that every time I get the urge to go and buy some alcohol, it gets overpowered by the fact that deep down I don't really want to because of the aftermath and because I want to make the right decision.

It's still like I'm having an argument with myself in my own head. Grrrrrr!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi - it stinks when that happens doesn't it. WELL DONE on not giving in to it When I feel like that, I go back and read about 'kindling' again and that kills stone dead any cravings. NO WAY do I want to go through another set of withdrawals, especially not knowing how bad they're going to be 'this time'.

Hang in there x
Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember where I was before I decided to quit and then eventually join this site.
You've made it past a lot of the walls that can get in the way during the first couple weeks of sobriety.
HANG IN THERE!!!
It does get better. Trust me,I'm going on month 3 and I seem to be craving snacks more that the drink.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by croydonlad View Post
The only thing that's stopping me drinking now is that every time I get the urge to go and buy some alcohol, it gets overpowered by the fact that deep down I don't really want to because of the aftermath and because I want to make the right decision.
Listening to the voice you described above has saved me many times when in the midst of a craving, and I'm always so thankful I did. Remember, no one ever wakes up sober and says, 'man, I wish I would have gotten drunk last night'. You got this
Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey Croy--I'm on day 13 myself and I used to buy my booze where I buy my groceries, so I know the frustration...Keep talking to yourself, and be strong! Everyone tells me that it get's easier with time. Looking forward to 2 weeks tomorrow!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm home now.

No booze in the house and I'm not craving it now. It seemed to last just a little while but I reasoned with myself and just reminded myself that I am not drinking for me, there was no real reason to drink except for me wanting to and I didn't want all the rubbish that came with it.

Home and drink free!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm home now.

No booze in the house and I'm not craving it now. It seemed to last just a little while but I reasoned with myself and just reminded myself that I am not drinking for me, there was no real reason to drink except for me wanting to and I didn't want all the rubbish that came with it.

Home and drink free!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you got through it croydonlad,

I remember once being told to that cravings are only intense through short bursts, get through that and you'll be ok. But that's not true. Cravings are intense and different depending on your circumstance.

Take care buddy!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks! I was actually just thinking how quickly it went away. It was less than an hour ago I was thinking about buying drink and now I'm home, the thought is out of my head and I didn't buy any alcohol.

Looking back now it didn't seem like such a tough thing to deal with.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So now ya can deal with it again like a fly in the net no probs!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Cravings come,glad you got through it.

Congratulations on day 13.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great that you rode out the craving, croydonlad. With every craving you resist your sobriety gets stronger.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job !
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job Croydon! Had a similar walk home today past some bars I used to drink in. Reminded myself of some of the fallout after the hours spent in these pubs and that helped a lot!!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go Croy!!! Knowing you beat this craving, it should be easier if you have another down the road.

Congrats on 13 days!! Woo hoo!!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's still like I'm having an argument with myself in my own head. Grrrrrr!
Try to keep that sort of thinking. I had the same thinking in the beginning and was told to think of what the consequences would be along with the fact that if I didn't pick up the first drink I wouldn't have to TRY TO GET SOBER AGAIN! It was also suggested that at times when the urge hits us to think of NON-DRINKING thoughts like a day at ............ BE WELL
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cravings suck

I walked by a beautiful restaurant yesterday and all the wine glasses were out and it looked so glamorous that my mouth started to water. I had to immediately take the scenario through to the end. If I pick up that first drink I will not stop and one - never have and never could no matter how hard I tried. I would have to hide the wine from my kids because they dont know that I was drinking. I have to lie and hide from everyone. Not where i want to be.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You denied the cravings and made it home.