Notices

Changes I have seen in the few days of sobriety

Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes I have seen in the few days of sobriety

1. I am remembering (or caring! I didn't care about much when I was black out drunk!) to take showers, brush my teeth and generally be cleaner and care about my appearance.

2. I am having / remembering dreams, when before I didn't because I wasn't asleep, I was passed out.

3. I have been catching myself in destructive thoughts, and I love it! I'm realizing the cycle I kept myself in and it's getting easier to turn those thoughts around. Today: I was going to cook myself a meal, and I thought 'A drink before I do this would make it better..." and I stopped. I realized I would think this thought before MANY activities, which then after drinking, never got done: cooking, cleaning, remembering obligations, going out with friends. I always convinced myself that a drink (or five) before any activity would make it 'better'.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the list and the reminder, Jade, and congrats on your sobriety.

You will be able to add and add to that list in the coming weeks and months. I also used to put drinking before most everything else (including eating and occasionally showering) and now having been sober for 8 months? I can't imagine going back to any of that.

And the sleep? So very worth it all.

It's so nice to inhabit a well-rested and healthy body after years of living in a sick and strung-out one.

Congrats again and thanks for the post.

Looking forward to hearing more as your sober time accumulates. It does get better and better
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Continue to dig within.

All of the answers to all of your questions lie within if you will simply keep digging.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh man, the actual sleep is the best. It is a little hard to fall asleep, but I have anti-anxiety meds that are helping me cope. I'm hoping to be able to chronicle even more good things I notice to help keep my promises to myself. I feel very strong right now, and this forum has definitely helped me more than I ever thought it could.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great Jade! Good job!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Congrats on being sober! Having a plan for what you will do when you get inside your head and when you are faced with alcohol is also helpful. Keep reading/posting on this site! I'm a newbie as well, and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Good job on doing what ur doing xx

I can share the same experience in not caring for myself or anything around me, thats one thing i need to sort out and i know being sober will change that. Its just making that leap into caring about ourselves and believe in ourselves.

Hope it continues and hope things brighten even more for you xx
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good going Jade! It really does get better!