Notices

Looking for help

Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for help

Hi everyone.

I just created an account because I'm struggling to handle all the information online and was hoping for some individual help.

One of my closest friends is 23 suffering from depression and alcohol dependency. She lost her car recently to a dui, and is stuck in her house all day alone or with her dysfunctional family.

There's so much info online but I'm struggling to figure things out and she's not taking steps to get herself help. She doesn't have insurance or much money so she keeps saying psychological help or rehab are out of the question. She would be very willing to attend if I could get her some info to get her started with reasonable prices. I think the priority right now is the psychological help. She's drinking because of the depression and loneliness. She needs someone to talk to.

I live in east bay California. If anyone knows how I could get her help without being insured that would be amazing.

PM me for more details.

Thank you all so much,
A friend.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It's good that you want to help your friend, but honestly, I think she should be the one who is doing the searching. It's part of the healing process that she should do those things for herself.

For the depression, it's always a good idea to talk to a dr to get his opinion as to whether medication would help or not. Maybe there is a clinic in the area which would offer reduced prices.

For the alcohol dependency, there is always AA which is free and this message board is open 24/7 and there is always someone here to offer help.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response.

Although I completely agree she should be the one looking for help, I have never seen her take initiative alone, and that lack of independence is one of the things that got her here. I'm very busy with work so I'm doing what I can but I just want her to see a dr.

If you have any info on finding reduced price psychologists or if there are any programs to go through that' would be great! I appreciate your help.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Good of you to want to help, however the dependent person needs to look and act for themselves. No one can get anyone sober or drunk except the alcoholic themselves, in other words they gutta wanna. In your area there are many AA meetings you might attend with her. Pick a meeting that is described something like O-speakers, O- Discussion etc. O indicates all are welcome as opposed to C- discussion steps which are for alcoholics only.
BE WELL
Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not intending to stir up a hornets nest, meetings are composed of people who understand another alcoholic and were all starting sobriety on their first meeting if the wanted it. The cost of this sort of recovery is minimal like $1 or 2. Also most rehabs I'm familiar with are staffed with program members. BE WELL
Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be good if your friend could begin to learn her independence by seeking support for herself and learning to take the initiative. Those of us who are recovering have had to learn a lot of life lessons.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you are doing a wonderful thing for your friend - if you think she will take the help. I know in my neck of the woods, there is a free rehab that offers many services, and I bet there would be something similar in your area. I go to a free mobile clinic that is hosted by a hospital every month for my depression meds. I'd call a few hospitals and see if they offer anything similar, and give the numbers to her and tell her she needs to call. I had a good friend help me by giving me the number to a community resource center, who finally put me in touch with free medical care that I needed. Without that friend, I don't think I would have found out about it.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank all of you so much! This has been really tough for me as well but the help is great!

Special thanks to Jade, who linked me to some really great stuff!

I can lead her to the water with this knowledge.