Notices

Newcomer

Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

This is my first time posting on this or any other like forum. I am an alcoholic, and have been for many years. It's gotten to the point that I drink almost every day and sometimes I start early in the morning depending on what's going on that day. The drinking has adversely effected my health, my performance at work and the people close to me. I once thought I could back off and just become a social drinker but now I realize that won't work.

That being said within the last week I had a hernia surgery. The surgery and recovery have been a great opportunity for me to stop drinking. I have not had a drink in 7 days. However this has probably been the easiest part of my recovery as there is no alcohol in the house (at least nothing I prefer) and I'm not yet able to drive to go get some.

I'm trying to do this on my own and I hope this site will be a good place for me to communicate with people like myself who struggle with alcohol addiction.

What do you recommend for activities, supplements, and anything else to help me through these very tough times?:a108
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A recovery community first and foremost, and since you are recuperating SR is a great start. I'd suggest that when you get ambulatory, find an AA meeting to start. I don't know much about supplements or anything. Not drinking alone will make you feel physically better than you have in years.

So glad that you've decided to break out of prison and find the sun again!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR FrostyTop.

There are different methods people get sober.

I like you in many ways found out that drinking was getting out of hand as was just coming with to high a cost. I have stayed sober for a couple of months now, not that long – but trust me it will slowly add up.

I just use this forum, we have a 24 hours thread I sign in everyday – that helps me keep focus on what I am doing.

I try to eat healthy and take vitamins, I also take cod liver oil. I have always done that, so that is not new to my recovery.

There is a lot of information and experience here – I have found it very beneficial to read and post in this site.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I used to walk my dogs when I was bored or had a craving to drink. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober, so we were all happy.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trying on your own is pretty hard. The statistics and research seem to indicate that. I'm not sure if on on-line forum counts as 'on your own' though - maybe half and half..

Have you considered joining a group? AA or Smart or similar?

As a long term AA sceptic who recently gave it another go it has kept me sober for the longest period in years now.

Incidentally I had a major operation a few years ago. Despite being an alcohol addict I quit drinking three days before the op to 'dry out' because I had to. I actually found is weirdly easy. As soon as I was home and mobile again I went back to my old ways and was hooked again more or less immediately. A weird bugger is alcoholism.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you FrostyTop. You found a great place.

I was drinking every day too. When I came here I never expected to find the courage to quit, but not being alone anymore meant everything. I hope you'll find SR gives you the help & encouragement you need. We're happy to have you join the family. Congratulations on wanting a new and better life.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Frosty Top

I got sober by really plugging myself into this community.

For me I really needed to change a lot of things about me and my life, not just drinking, and the support advice and encouragement I found here really helped me.

Read around and post as much as you like - I hope you'll find an approach that you like.

I didn't take any supplements beyond a multivitamin. I think it's always best to run any supplements by your Dr - what works for someone else may not work or be suitable for you.

D
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I did inpatient rehab at the Abbey in Bettendorf (I don't live in the Quad Cities, but it was recommended to me and it was great..if you have insurance) and we were required to go to AA meetings daily. There are a lot of good meetings in Bett. and Davenport if you'd like to give AA a try. They are big enough to "disappear" in the back if your uncomfortable at first but small enough to fully participate whenever your ready. I think AA is a good start, but there are many different programs people here have tried and they have worked for them. Read old posts and you'll learn a lot!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Frosty

I used a mixture of this site, a method called AVRT, AA and counselling to help me. I would recommend just doing whatever you feel you need at that moment of time to stay sober. I also read a lot of personal stories and books on addiction which have helped me identify with others and find other things which can help me. There's an excellent list in the stickies here x
Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site