Notices

I think PAWS had kicked in

Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think PAWS had kicked in

I looked for the thread on PAWS but I couldn't find it so I googled it. Man, it says it lasts about 2 years. You have swings of highs and lows while your brain heals. Pretty discouraging. But it also said every time you relapse your brain loses all the gains it made, which is incentive to stay sober. I guess you have to go through it. Anyone have any experience with this?

On night 18, had some pretty intense cravings all weekend. I guess this is PAWS. May be just a weekend thing, not sure.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mirage, I was happy when I learned about PAWS. It explained the way I was feeling. And I knew it would eventually go away. And it did. Hugs to you.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think at day 18 you are still experiencing acute withdrawal. I think PAWS is one of those things Dr. Google uses to freak people out.

Don't. Freak. Out.

From my understanding of PAWS, it doesn't affect most people and it's a description of symptoms folks in recovery experience months after detox. Like three to six months out.

The majority of people in recovery do not get PAWS.

And yes, PAWS can last a long time, often occurring in weird intervals, like at six months, nine months, kicking out symptoms that disappear and come back. Things like depression and tinnitus and muscle spasms and poor cognition and a host of other ills.

Many folks recovering from benzo withdrawal go through a protracted withdrawal.

The majority of people going through alcohol, opiates and cocaine withdrawal don't experience it. I don't mean to give medical advice, just sharing from my readings over the years.

Take a big breath.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have definately had paws in recovery. It is a good incentive to remain 100% sober knowing that small amounts can undo the gains made in sobriety. And 2 years sounds discouraging. Luckily it gets better over time, bit by bit every day, sometimes fluctuating. And there are other things healing all the time and stuff gets better for sure.

At day 107 I know I still have paws, not all the time, at least not notably. The thing is that it doesn't bother much at all anymore. It has gotten milder and easier. And I believe it will get better.

In my opinion it sounds strange to say it doesn't affect most people when I think it would be something like unavoidable but not everyone gets all the symptoms or they are milder so they go unnoticed? Maybe.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Not PAWS. Just normal for someone only 18 days sober. You get through the cravings the same way you get through any sober day.

By not drinking.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Sounds pretty early on for PAWS. Not all people experience. It doesn't always last that long. But best of all is that PAWS is always moving towards healing, while boozing is always leading towards destruction.

Guaranteed that if you drink 2 more years you will experience more pain, frustration and ill health than if you sober for two years.

I think that is encouraging!