...and what it's like now

Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

...and what it's like now

thought i'd give an update on where i'm at and how life is going. a few months ago i'd posted about starting a medically supervised detox/clearing diet with a naturopath. a very expensive proposition since my standard insurance hardly covers a damn thing! however MY health is worth it.

i'd started by just adding two protein shakes a day and starting to make different food choices. these shakes are rice protein based - a combo of a liver/gut cleanse and an inflammatory arrest. then on august 21st I launched into the restrictive diet with a lengthy list of avoid foods. AVOID LIST Dairy
Wheat (all gluten grains) Egg Corn Citrus Peanut Soy Chocolate Beef Caffeine
Sugar Garlic Alcohol All Nightshades (potato, tomato, peppers, eggplant). starting day 3 I upped my shakes to 3 a day and was instructed to increase my water intake to 7-16 oz glasses of water per day.

I took a week off of work which was really a good idea it turned out. this was also when hank went back to his home state for a buddies wedding and to visit family. it wasn't HARD to do, I was committed, but some unexpected things did occur. days 3 and 4 saw this absolute roar of emotions coming out of me left and right. I was Bruce Lee with a dish cloth going ninja on a small swarm of those stupid little flies that like to hang right inside an open door? I yelled and cussed and panted and finally "saw" myself and said WHOA, where the hell did THAT come from?

it wasn't just my body detoxing off all the foods etc, but literally my muscles and fat releasing toxins/emotions as well! each time one of these events would happen i'd go get busy in the yard - got lots of yardwork done!

anywho, once the 14 days were up I got to start challenging the avoid foods. one at a time. for one day. then back to a clean program. then another from the list. I had a couple check in visits and we'd go over my food journal and what if any effects I felt from the avoid foods and certain items became OK again, within limits. when hank came back from Wisconsin he suggested I get the nutribullet blaster to make up my shakes, so that I can add in fruits and veggies, etc. that has been a godsend!

I've learned that my system does not care for coffee....I can do just about half a cup. nor is chocolate as awesome. small amounts of tomatoes are ok. the more I steer clear of a lot of wheat based products the better. I don't need nearly as much food to feel satiated. I drink a ton of water.

a lot of the symptoms I went into this with have diminished. the fatigue...I don't feel like i'm wading in waist deep cold oatmeal anymore. my energy stays much more even throughout the day. my head isn't in so much of a fog. I haven't been "sick" and even allergy irritation is down, altho I am still famous for a good sneezing fit. my sleep is still an issue. dr had me try a melatonin based sleep aid...made me feel worse the next day. I am now cleared to exercise, gently and have been enjoying it.

and I've lost 17 pounds! I just broke thru the other side of 170. the weight has come off in nice steady little bits without me trying or that even being the goal! today in between hitting the produce stand and winco for groceries, I stopped and got a new pair of size 14 jeans.

hank is thrilled with it all. that i'm getting healthier AND thinner. his "support" has been by not getting in the way or interfering, or making negative comments about the odd looking green shake i'm drinking. he's even braved a sip or two! he brags a bit to his buds. he's learned he LIKES brown rice! and would never turn down fresh steamed green beans or broccoli. I haven't tried to convert him...that is not what this is about!!! all the regular foods are still here, i bought him some chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies and chips today. he doesn't need to hide in the other room to eat what HE wants. but we are learning to blend our food choices...it's partnership at it's finest. he WAS worried at first he'd starve to death. LOL

a friend of mine referred to my LIFESTYLE change. I hadn't thought of it like that until she mentioned it. but yes, it IS a lifestyle change. and it will only work IF I WORK IT. if I stay on track, on program, eat clean, by choice. sound familiar?? my 54th bd is later this month and this is by far the best I've felt in my 50's! I can't imagine chowing down on a bunch of potato chips. or eating pizza. I actually like hummus! tonite we ARE having ribeye steaks....I've been saving for a red meat indulgence! he wants to make mac n cheese, which I can have in moderation. mac n cheese, preferably stouffer's used to be my FAVE go to food. today I just can't DO that much pasta and cheese! but he doesn't have to go without what HE wants just so I stay on program. THAT IS NOT HIS JOB. it's MINE.

right when I went into the naturopath for the first intake apt (july 2nd)...I was suffering with a miserable cold that bordered on the flu - sick like a dog. I was also having a rapid succession of periods....one week apart, then two. we now have me on low dose bio-identical hormones and that has all settled down, no pms and no period (yet). technically I SHOULD be entering in to full menopause, but like the rest of my body, everything was just stuck. thru the full panel blood test my hormone levels were way low, along with my cortisol levels (we checked that thru a saliva test taken 4 times during the day). I wasn't even generating enough cortisol to register at the low end of the scale when in the AM it should be at it's highest. my blood glucose was getting up in the WARNING range, and my vitamin D protein and calcium levels were very low. no absorption.

last week we drew blood again (not full panel this time) and next week I go again for a follow up reassessment of where I am today appt. it stands to reason that we should see significant or at least marked improvement. they are already over the moon with the weight loss.

I share this because I believe it is part of the ES&H of life AFTER addiction. making healthy choices and healthy changes. doing so in a healthy positive environment without requiring the other to do anything different. self determined. it's been pretty amazing.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wow, that does sound amazing! Good for you! Thanks for the update.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, Anvil!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish I could find the courage to find a good naturopath...although I have good insurance, very little of this is covered.

please keep sharing so we can pick up your recipes and many congrats on the renewed energy
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow such discipline! Way to go.....and yes.....it is good ESH. You are taking care of you and that's what it's about.

hugs
ke
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Anvil, I'm reading your post and cheering you on. That sounds like such a healthy thing to do and considering a whole new food program will take you to good places.

Mr. Ann wanted to try a vegan diet this year, he's type 2 diabetic and a friend of his who was in much worse shape was able to get off all medication (with his doctor's supervision and blessing) after only one year of vegan and more exercise. I joined him and actually like the concept, we eat whatever is served if friends invite us for dinner and enjoy every bite..then get back on track the next meal. Mr. Ann has only one medication left to eliminate, his metformin, and the dosage is already in half of what he used to take. We are early 60's and healthier than we have ever been.

This thread isn't about me and I hope I didn't twist it, but my point is that making changes in our food plans can make all the difference in our health and well being. Your weight loss is awesome and it will continue to get better as you keep making good choices in what you eat.

You are a woman of purpose, and I have no doubt in my mind that you have found a good path and will stay on it.

Hugs
Old 10-05-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ann, actually the finding that most concerning for me and for my "team" was the blood glucose. I was NOT expecting that, it was 98 which is just bumping up on the edge of pre-diabetic!!!? when I last went to my regular dr and ASKED for blood work they ran the short panel, cholesterol and a couple of other things. what if....I had let this go on? what if.....I went another year or two while my blood glucose continued to rise???? THANK YOU for sharing about Mr Ann and those changes in diet have helped him. how wonderful for both of you!

fancy, yes it IS expensive. no doubt. my insurance has denied almost everything. NO to lab work, NO to supplements, NO to bio-identical hormones, and have tried to deny basic office visits because they only accept ONE code and my dr office uses different ones depending on the purpose of the visit. I may appeal some of this. not really my main concern right now. I would like to go before the appeal committee with the BEFORE and the AFTER and say tell ME this isn't good medicine? even tho we aren't using any MEDICATIONS??? for sleep my regular dr said try Tylenol pms, when those didn't work (i'd tried them before) she prescribed Trazadone. omg, I didn't need to be put in a COMA. I took 1. hated it.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's encouraging to read about such an amazing change!!! What a great thing to do for yourself!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Inspirational! Way to go, and thanks for sharing. I'm nearing 50 and healthy but my body has changed and the more know I know about naturopathy, the more I feel the tug in that direction. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if I could find insurance that DOES cover naturopathy, i'd dump my current insurance in a heart beat! at least i wish i'd had the foresight to start a flexible spending account at work. I have always felt respected and listened to at Water's Edge....they truly CARE about me and my well-being. none of my "issues" or symptoms have been dismissed. they take the time to review my file before seeing me....and they are on my @SS about quitting smoking! LOL
Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WTG!! It sounds like you have made wonderful lifestyle improvement!! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. That kind of change is difficult, but it sounds like you are feeling the good rewards from it. Maybe if you keep the receipts, you can at least get a tax break on all the medical stuff? In our state, the state gives you a pretty good break on medical stuff--federal, not so much.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I haven't pursued my interest in naturopathy, so I didn't realize it was so hard to get conventional health insurance to cover anything but conventional medicine. I'm curious to know if your care providers consider themselves holistic providers...are they interested in your spiritual health as well as your physical health?

I recently did some online reading/video watching of Dr. Kelly Brogan of NYC who specializes in women's health. I wish I could find a doctor like her in my area. Her practice has evolved from conventional medicine to a holistic approach and I like her philosophy. Seriously...what woman doesn't instinctively understand the connection between body and spirit...physical and mental/emotional/spiritual issues? She challenges conventional medicine. I wish there were more doctors like her, not to mention insurance companies whose execs were genuinely interested in peoples' health rather than their pocketbooks.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

back when I hit 40-ish, too much weight, drinking, feeling miserable, one day I came across the Power 90 informercial. this was before P90X, Shaun T, all of that. just Tony Horton and the "kids" doing the 90 day boot camp. I bought in. I did 2 rounds, 180 days, and lost around 40 or so pounds. I had abs, hips, nicely toned arms, the whole bit. my before and after photos were even in one of the informercials.

that's when hank met me. and then when he and I got together I felt shy about working out in front of him and so I stopped. over the years, I've tried to get an intense workout going again. only my body can't do that anymore. my knees, especially my left knee, just shred doing squats. jumping, bouncing, anything that uses the knee a lot, can't do - or should I say I CAN, but then I can barely walk. same thing with my shoulders, I can't do pushups, or even flys with weights without my shoulders just screaming. I even tried the Brazilian butt lift, which was fun, but put me back in a knee brace in no time.

today.....I respect my limitations. today, finally, I get that there are things I cannot and should not DO. so I do standing left lifts, which I borrowed from BBL, I do standing crunches, and I do gentle arm work....I have a set of 5# dumbbell weights next to my laptop, so I can grab them any time and do curls or tricep curls, when I do laundry I do leg lifts -side and back, heel flexed, and all those things are working! I will never be able to do P90X or Shaun T insanity....and I have finally accepted that. I will not run marathons, not that I EVER wanted to!!! I can't even do much yoga, which I always hated anyways.

I'm not 28, when I was in the BEST shape of my life - and then got pregnant (healthy = fertile???), nor am I 40 and showing myself in my underwear on a nationally televised infomercial!!!! and that is OK. actually I thought I was only 52 and at one visit to water's edge she stated so you are 53......um NO, no i'm 52! she said, so you were born in '59 right? yes. and it is now 2013? ye-e-esss? and then it hit me, I had the math wrong. so I have been 53 for about 3 months and in a few weeks will gain 2 years from what I thought I was!!!!

the beauty part is..........that is ok. cuz the way I felt when I thought I was 52 and how much better I feel at 53 is all I need!

From Page 449 (first 3 editions, pg. 417 in the 4th edition) of Alcoholics Anonymous or The Big Book as it is widely known:

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.

Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake.
Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy.
I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

hoorah.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i've been thinking about your thread since yesterday, mostly because i'm recovering from an abscess and phase one of root canal...what type of rice protein shake are you drinking? thanks.
i do remember Power 90 commercials, we are about the same age.
In June i began a program with PT/corrective movement therapy, but the progress is slow, mostly because of me....maybe now i will listen to trainerboy about his food recommendations.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Wow, Anvil, what an inspiring post. Food holds such tremendous power to transform us. I've been flirting with a vegan diet for a while now. Unfortunately, with two young kids they tend to turn their noses up at most the vegan options. I did find two amazing cookbooks and still cook out of them as I can.

I think I will be making some kale smoothies this week.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Anvil, I have arthritis that behaves when I do. I cannot play tennis or do high impact exercises anymore or my feet and knees swell so bad I cannot walk.

But I can swim endlessly and I can walk about 5 miles if I rest briefly along the way. And surprisingly I can kayak for hours with no problem.

My tummy may not be flat as a board but it doesn't hang over my pants and my arms may flap in the wind a little but are reasonably strong and fit, I never did have hips or thighs, lol, so don't notice a change there.

I have watched many of my more athletic friends now getting knee and hip replacements. Not this gal. I may not be poster girl for any gym but I'm fit enough to hike for hours and enjoy the nature I surround myself with.

My point is, don't beat yourself up if you can't qualify for the Olympics. Just do something that works your heart and body enough to keep healthy.

I'm loving this thread, Anvil. I realize, reading it, that keeping physically healthy is an important part of our recovery too and am glad to share this part of the journey with friends like you.

Hugs
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fandy, I get the two protein powders from my naturopath....it doesn't state the source only that it is packaged FOR water's edge. one is rice protein based, the other pea protein, plant based no whey or fillers, both considered medical grade. one is designed to support the liver and gut, the other to reduce overall inflammation. that's the best I got for now....sorry!

jazzfish, I should think it would take some creativity with little kids! sort of trial and error, I mean there must be SOME fruits and veggies they like. build from there. I just had my morning nutriblast shake..spring greens, plum, raspberries, almond slice, protein powder, water, all zapped together and REALLY quite marvelous. hank's doing bacon and eggs...ugh, i'm still feeling the mac and cheese lump.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ok, I told you guys i'd update after my second Report of Findings. which was yesterday. when I started at Water's Edge they had me fill out this lengthy health history/symptoms report - list all the health concerns/issues I have and rate them on a scale of 1-10 - one being the best and 10 being the worst. I HATE those kind of things, but I gave it my best. prior to my 2nd Report of Findings, they had me do the list again and re-rate everything. my overall score from the 1st report was 172, and now it's down to 127. which translates to a 26% improvement overall!!! they aim for 30%, so we are right in the ballpark.

specifics - weight is down 17#. (woop). blood glucose down from 98 to 95. still high, but dropping (whew). vitamin D, calcium and protein levels have all improved, still low but moving in the right direction!!! (yay!). that's all pretty incredible considering this was all managed simply by reconstructing my diet and the medical shakes. no diet aids or pharmaceuticals needed! the only "concern" is that the two times they checked my BP is was a little high...130/80 and 132/80.

so we have now passed the Relief phase and move to the Rebuilding phase. I am to continue making healthy food choices, keep up with one shake a day. and of course, drink lots of water!!!

we are adding a new arsenal of supplements that provide additional support to my hormonal and digestive systems. there is a suspicion I may have an under-functioning pancreas...not producing enough enzymes to aid with the breakdown of food, thus the malabsorption. so one of the supplement aids nutrient absorption. also a high potency gut flora (probiotic). also fish oil capsules.

I continue with the AM cortisol, the alpha lypoic acid (blood sugar balance), vitamin D (8000 iu per day), now a cortisol manager to take at bedtime - it's not a sleep aid, it helps to drop cortisol levels and stress to aid sleeping well. and continue to take the low dose bioidentical estrogene/progesterone.

and start to increase exercise..both aerobic and weight training and get my heartrate up to the target zone for at least 20 minutes during workouts. I will need to be very careful with any aerobic stuff as my knees can't take much stress. might be limited to brisk walking or maybe get an exercise bike/treadmill something or other. LOW impact. this is my assignment for the next 3 months.

ironically enough, while WALKING to my car in the garage at work to go to my appt., I managed to pull a muscle in my back, at the lower end of my ribcage!?? all I did was reach around to tug my bra down a bit! it's not debilitating, but it is uncomfortable! you know like when you move? definitely not doing any upper body work today! may just lay off of everything for the day. I am staying home today - almost everyone from our group is off at the group meeting, so whether I am there or not, not much will happen!

i did start the cortisol manager last nite, 2 right before bedtime, along with the progesterone and really didn't have a good night's sleep. took forever to fall asleep and the woke often. BUT by 4 am i was too awake to stay in bed anymore. actually feel reasonably refreshed. go figure. i'm supposed to slowly add in the new meds, every 2-3 days.....so as not to stress my system, and also to assess if i have any unpleasant reactions to anything. i go back in two weeks to see how it's all going.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

congrats to you Anvil!!

wishing you continued success!

pink hugs!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Anvil, Wow! I am impressed, I wish I had the courage to give up sweets. Some of my friends who have given up raw sugar, candy, white breads or foods that are white, said they went thru a withdrawal, bad, fatigued, craving, going out of their minds. I think I'm gonna try giving up raw sugar and sweets, change to wheat bread, drink more water and see how I am. I'm also 53, my fasting glucose is 80 and I'm a bit overweight, not bad but not in shape either. Thanks for the inspiration, I did break my back 2 yrs ago so I do have lingering pain. The exercise will have to be low impact, but you have motivated me! Thanks! TF