Notices

Planning a "Quit", AA related

Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planning a "Quit", AA related

So, I realize that midnight on a Friday is not the best time to ask a question, but I'm still hoping someone can help me out. I am trying to set up my plan for quitting drinking and am trying to find the best method for me. Considering I'm not a daily drinker, I am hesitant to try AA, but after some thought, I want to leave all my options on the table until I figure out my best fit sooo... I am wondering about the AA meeting titles... How can I figure out the best meeting for me to try? All the titles are pretty vague. Like "Easy does it" and walk the talk... There are sooooo many different groups, how do you know what the titles actually reflect?? I'm not very religious, so if I do chose to go this route I want to make sure I find the right meeting so I'm not scared off... Thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure, PinotNoMore. AVRT has been my staple, not very knowledgeable about AA. The only reason I'm posting is just to give encouragement. You can do it! It's soooo worth it to quit!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Myth! I've heard a bit about AVRT... But where can I find out more? do they have a website? I've kinda decided that human interaction is gonna be crucial here, I love being around people and would like to make some sober friends so hoping to find a way to do that... I just cant hide away cause I think that would escalate the issue! Just wish there was a "HEY!! I'm 30 and don't want to drink but I still want to have a good time, group!! lol Eh... yea...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From my experience in AA, the meeting titles are usually just AA phrases that a group names itself, it doesn't really reflect anything in particular. Most AA meetings are similar (even in different towns). The differences are that there are Open Discussion meetings, Big Book study meetings, women's meetings, beginners meetings, etc. I would suggest getting a schedule and look for a beginners meeting and if not, try an open discussion meeting. At the beginning, the leader asks if anyone is there for your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ever meeting. You can just say , "Hi, I'm (your name), and I'm an alcoholic." At that point, people in the room will reach out to you and prob give you a phone list. Then you can talk to them after the meeting and ask any questions. Hope that helps

Also, most towns have an AA hotline you can call and get more info. Google "(your town) AA"
Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach like AVRT Pinot

D
Old 10-05-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

The members who start a new group typically come up with their own name for it. I've not found a whole lot of consistency with the name of the group relative to the "type" of group....with a few exceptions.

Not all "Newcomers...." meetings are composed solely of newcomers.
Some groups with what seem scary names are actually full of really nice people.
Some groups with really impressive names don't necessarily have equally impressive messages / members.
Usually, a group with "Big Book..." in the title will tend to stick to what's actually in the AA program.
"Open" meetings are usually one person speaking, anyone's allowed to be in the audience but those in the audience are just listening whereas "closed meetings" usually allow for everyone (or mostly everyone) to talk.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
All the titles are pretty vague. Like "Easy does it" and walk the talk
Those are just names the group has given themselves.

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
From my experience in AA, the meeting titles are usually just AA phrases that a group names itself, it doesn't really reflect anything in particular.
Right!

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Most AA meetings are similar (even in different towns). The differences are that there are Open Discussion meetings, Big Book study meetings, women's meetings, beginners meetings, etc. I would suggest getting a schedule and look for a beginners meeting and if not, try an open discussion meeting. At the beginning, the leader asks if anyone is there for your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd ever meeting. You can just say , "Hi, I'm (your name), and I'm an alcoholic."
Or you can say nothing. You do not have to speak up if you are not comfortable. They ask this to welcome you.

Most meetings have a routine for the first 10/15 minutes. They ask about newcomers, out of town guests, hospital news/prayer request or any news for the good of AA. They will also do some readings like The Preamble, How it works and The Promises. Meetings vary but most read these three.

If you google the city you live in along with AA or Alcoholics Anonymous you may find an online schedule. We have an Akron AA Website that lists all the meetings, the times, day and the meeting types. There is a key so you can determine what type of meetings.

For example:
D - Discussion
O - Open meeting (anyone is allowed, guests, family, students etc.)
PP - Primary Purpose
BB - Big Book Discussion
C - Closed meeting (Alcoholics Only, No guests)
M - Men only
W - Women only

There are more, but you get the idea

You will see these next to the group name.

"100 Men and Women" (O,BB,PP)

"Easy Does it" (C,M,BB,D)

Most books or online schedules will also indicate if the meeting is handicap accessible.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You could also join a group that trains for a ½ marathon, ½ ironman or something like that – there are people that do not drink, not because they have a problem with it, it just sets them back.

I am still in the process of taking the decision to drop cigarettes (I know it is taking me a little long to do that) – I need to replace that with something, I can not do it without having another goal.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Myth! I've heard a bit about AVRT... But where can I find out more? do they have a website? I've kinda decided that human interaction is gonna be crucial here, I love being around people and would like to make some sober friends so hoping to find a way to do that... I just cant hide away cause I think that would escalate the issue! Just wish there was a "HEY!! I'm 30 and don't want to drink but I still want to have a good time, group!! lol Eh... yea...
Check your PMs, I sent you a link. Check it out if you like. It works for me! Not much to lose in trying it. At worst you wasted 15 minutes, but if you're anything like me you might just manage to stop in one crack.

Btw, love your username! I loved wine best of all, and Pinot Noir was a favorite of mine.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

Just wish there was a "HEY!! I'm 30 and don't want to drink but I still want to have a good time, group!! lol Eh... yea...
Many cities have YPAA (Young People in AA) meetings. We have a group in my town that meets twice a week. Their is no age restriction but most members I would guess are in their 20's and 30's. I'm 52 and have gone a couple of times when a "young'n" I knew was speaking.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Best thing to do is phone your local AA helpline,they will be able to talk you through what meetings there are.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No half measures

Well it is agood thing you are not religous because neither is AA. I used a combinaton of AA and AVRT. IMO AVRT can get you sober but I needed AA to recover.

The bedrock principle of AA is one alcoholic talking to another. AA works for me because it addresses the social psychological and spiritual components of recovery. Without addressing all three I was destined to failure which I experienced many many times.

I would suggest trying a lot of different meetings each meeting is different. They all have their own flavor and character. Look for people with long term recovery and are healthy and happy. Read the first hundred sixty four pages of the big book because they are the instruction manual for AA.

AA saved my life and has taught me how to lead a happy productive life without alcohol. A life better than I could ever have imagined
Old 10-05-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

xa-speakers.org and listen to Bea M. or Sandy B.

private message me for online meetings, then if you choose, you can get to an in person meeting. There are those like you in AA.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gracielou! In my experience anyway that's all very accurate along with a few other posts. Lets not forget an AA meeting is made up of NON professionals, regular everyday people who add to the "flavor" or style of a meeting which is always based on not drinking today. It's a place where people understand each other as we've all been there. It also has many different personalities, some stronger than others and some that come and only listen. Over the years I've heard many say that their first meeting was a comfort they hadn't felt for many years. And yes there will be things you/we don't like but it's far better than our best days drinking. BE WELL
Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My advice is to go to meetings and try them out. Some people go to a lot, some don't. I went to one group for awhile and hated it. Part of that was my own issues, but part was the way they did everything. They are all very similar, but all different as well. I've been to several different meetings around the country. Some are full of bible thumpers, some just discuss spirituality, which to me is a very different thing. Its scared me to go, and it terrified me when they asked me to introduce myself. But they are all there to help. I've found a group that meets Monday through Saturday at noon, and I love it. I've made friends I never could have made before. I got a sponsor, which also terrified me. He is an "oldtimer" with almost 30 years of sobriety that is still very active in AA and he is quite possibly the best thing thats ever come into my life. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am wondering about the AA meeting titles... How can I figure out the best meeting for me to try? All the titles are pretty vague. Like "Easy does it" and walk the talk...
the name of the meetings may not mean a lot
unless such as "young ones in recovery" would be mostly for young ones
closed meetings are for alcoholics only (court slips usually not signed)

best to just try a few different meetings so as to find your fit

Mountainman