Notices

Lola went to a meeting...GASP!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lola went to a meeting...GASP!

So I broke down and went to a meeting Not to bad the people seemed decent! No scary dressed people with piercings in places God never intended (that I know of LOL) there was a woman there with questionable makeup...HA! Anywho....I think..I'll hit another one...cuz I am way broken as is most everyone else. Why must they make you speak I prefer to torture myself internally and let it out online....sigh! Huge step for me people...HUGE!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done!! I have my first meeting planned for Saturday morning, but there is NO WAY I'll be speaking at it. Maybe after a couple of weeks
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They make you say your name or some such BS....that was it for me! Besides it seems as though there are plenty of people who can talk about themselves the whole meeting lol!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad it went well for you.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It went...thats all I can say!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Lola!

Glad to see you!

I have no experience related to meetings, so cant' offer you a useful advice. Just... If it helps.. Maybe - say your words and let it go...

Hugs to you, my friend. Hold on and take care of yourself)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just give your first name and that's all that's expected of you. You don't have to talk if you don't want to.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

No scary dressed people with piercings in places God never intended (that I know of LOL)
If you go to my home group, I could show you my belly button piercing

Seriously I am glad that you got over your shyness and went and don't worry about talking, just listen. If they are doing a round robin kind of meeting, when your turn comes just say: I m Lola and I would like to listen today.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Belly button Rings I can deal with as well as a few extra ear holes, some nose rings don't bother me but it still reminds me of a constant booger...but thats my limit!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Least....I'm sure they won't forget the name Lola! I did however check the broomstick at the door
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by lilgolden73 View Post
It went...thats all I can say!
Yay to you!

I bet in a month's time, there'll be no stopping you . . . .
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Lola
Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Congrats on going to a meeting!!! I recently started going to meetings daily, because they keep me sober. Even when I am at a meeting where I feel like I don't have anything in common with the other people in attendance, I listen to the stories and try to relate to their FEELINGS about alcohol and, 10 times out of 10, I feel/have felt the same way about my drinking at some point in my life. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

PL I sent you a message . Thanks everyone......I have come to the conclusion there are far nore addicts in the world then sober people! Does that make us the normal ones? Hahahahahahaha
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No half measures

It doesn't matter what they look like how much money they make, what their race is, what their sexuality is, what their education is and a million other meaningless factors. What matters is how they stay sober and lead a happy productive life.

How do you know the same thing isn't true of your favorites on SR. AA and recovery are the great equalizers of the human race. We are all garden variety alcoholics no better no worse.

A friend of mine is a doctor and about a year ago I saw him chit chatting with this big huge Burley biker. Funniest damn thing I've seen in quite a while. They are both sober and couldn't care less
Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't say I would hold it against them and I do have friends of every kind....and the ones I have mentioned above know the anxiety their self mutilation causes me so we agree to disagree....people can get addicted to poking holes all over their bodys, tatoos etc.....its part of being an addict.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Why must they make you speak I prefer to torture myself internally and let it out online

I smiled when I saw this. As I'm sure you are aware, alcoholism is progressive.

So is going to AA meetings. If you keep going (and I hope you do, I've found AA beneficial) it won't be long, and not only will you be speaking at meetings, you will be chairing a few. And you might find you actually enjoy that.

It's kind of amazing the different ways we can grow once we put down the bottle and get sober.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Lili
Glad you made it to a meeting. SR and AA have kept me sober for coming up to 2.5 years. The magic is in the steps. I don't like talking much at meetings and usually end up on tears, not because I am sad, I put it down to pent up emotion I don't really know why, I just let the tears fall where they may.

I was so incredibly self conscious for quite a while in meetings, so critical, judgemental. I have changed, am a much better person, the promises of AA do come true.

All the best
caiHong
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I go to meetings with people in suits. I go to meetings with people covered in piercings and tattoos. But it's all really the same.

And you'd be surprised how insightful and eloquent some of the tatt'ed up people are. I actually prefer a meeting I go to with a bunch of punk kids who want sobriety more than anything. I'm the odd one out there with my polos and khaki pants lol.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hear and understand what you are saying...why the "My name is and I'm a..." that alone makes me pause to go to another meeting, let alone, the last person I met there turned out to be the worst!!!!! I have however heard good things on here, so maybe will try again, but, do understand what you are saying!