Notices

Here we go again...

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again...

I am 27 and have been drinking every day. I go through about a liter of vodka every 3 days. I can hide it pretty well and my husband and I finally talked it out and I have to stop. I called my parents and a couple friends and told them that I am quitting drinking and everyone has been really supportive. However, I have been on line all morning researching the best techniques to quit and it has done nothing but terrify me. I am probably working myself up but thats kind of who I am... Some of the sites are basically telling me if I don't go to a hospital I will die. I have gone a day or so before and everything has been fine, I actually even wake up feeling fantastic but I have worked myself up. Any advice to help me not be so terrified? I have an amazing husband and great support system but he doesn't have the answers to my questions the way someone on here might.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome to SR If you're worried hun, go and have a chat with your doctor - we can't give out medical advice on here, it's against the rules x
I do know it's very easy to wind yourself up reading medical sites online and not so easy to reassure yourself
Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Call your doctors office and speak to them. It's a decision a medical person should make. Believe me, they have heard it all before so no need to alter the truth. Much safer also. Your feeling anxious because you don't know the best course of action. They do.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome LoveMyDogs27, it is always a good idea to see a doctor before detoxing so you are safe. There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cant get into my doctor until next Thursday. Should I wait to stop until then? Should I maybe taper? I really want to quit today. I am so sick of waking up feeling like garbage and so unmotivated.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMyDogs27 View Post
I cant get into my doctor until next Thursday. Should I wait to stop until then? Should I maybe taper? I really want to quit today. I am so sick of waking up feeling like garbage and so unmotivated.
Could you not phone them for advice? I don't know how things work in the USA.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'd call your doctor and tell them that you're trying to stop drinking but are afraid of the withdrawals. Going thru w/d can be dangerous sometimes so it's a good idea to have medical help if possible.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.

PS, I love my dogs too!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you have insurance? If so you can go to the ER, and they might observe you overnight and give you some Valium or something to help with withdrawals. They will advise you what to do from there.

If no insurance, that could be expensive. In my town they have a state funded health clinic that helps people detox for little or no cost. You could call around. Or like they said, call your Dr.'s office, they should be able to tell you what to do.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR LoveMyDogs. I hope you'll continue to post as you begin your journey - it should help with the anxiety when you first start out. As the others suggested, advice from your doctor's office would be the safest thing. We're glad to have you with us - this is a great place for friendship and support.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi welcome Lovemydogs. People have different experiences with withdrawals. There are too many factors to give a blanket response. The only safe way is to go to the dr. I'm very proud of you for facing your issue. You can do this. Get a plan and stick to it. I love my dog too. She has been my sober companion. Taking her for long walks has been great therapy for me. I recommend it. (: