Saying Thanks

Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saying Thanks

I have been away for a while, but am back to say thanks to those who were here a couple of years ago when I found myself in a dark place, trying to fight my way through a breakup with an alcoholic/addict. It was easily one of the darkest times of my life. SR was a lifesaver.

People here taught me to take an honest look at myself and my choices. They taught me about the addict. I was naive and didn't understand addiction. I couldn't believe that another human could consciously make choices that would hurt me. They taught me how/why that was possible. People here offered experience and strength, comfort and friendship. They did so not because they had to but because they wanted to.

Even in the couple of years since I last posted, I've checked in to read and to keep myself grounded, maybe even sane on some days. SR would always remind me that there are thousands of people here with the same pain, same challenges, same stories. It would bring me back to a calm that would help me to make sound decisions in my relationship with my addict.

My 5-year dance with my addict is over. I still have plenty to learn about myself, but I am at peace with myself and in my relationship with my ex. I still love him, but from a healthy distance. I know that we both tried, we both grew, and we both loved. And we're both going to be okay.

There was a time when I felt like letting him go would suffocate me, like I wouldn't survive. I'm not in that place any more. People here helped get me through the dark times.

So, I'm checking in to say thanks, with the intent to offer my own strength and experience when I can. You're all a gift. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome back, and it sounds like healing finally has come to you.

It's nice to hear from those who have left but who remain connected with SR.

Hugs
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ann. You were one of my lifesavers.