Notices

Loss of concentration/thought process/memory after drinking

Old 10-02-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss of concentration/thought process/memory after drinking

I'm not asking for any medical advice and 99% of the time I'm fine but I was wondering if anyone could write about their experience of concentration, thought process and memory after drinking?

How long did it take after you stopped drinking before your short term memory and concentration was back to normal?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me several months but I had other health problems going on too - I hope your experience will be much shorter

Most of us drank for years, it takes a little time to recuperate from there

D
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not really noticeable for me too much but there is the odd moment where I have to stop and think about what I'm doing or I might forget someone's name. This can happen to anyone though lol.

It's already a million times better just a week after no alcohol.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi croydonlad, I've been thinking about this too. The first few weeks I felt that it was better (anything would be better than going to work every day in a dehydrated fuzzy fog). But in the past week or so I've felt really scattered. I texted a colleague today to ask if we were meeting at the usual time and she said, "no, I have to go to the doctor...don't you remember I told you this yesterday?" Urgh. Sure, after she said it I remembered, but it was just a big blank space there before she said that.

From what I've read here on SR, this is par for the course. Our brains are soaking in lots more information now since we're not saturating it with alcohol. We're in a process of rewiring. Until then, I'm going to have to write everything down, lol.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too had problems concentrating and memory problems too for a while. Took me a few months until I started to get back to normal functioning.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think it's because of stopping drinking. You probably just notice it more now that you're sober. I had it too, and it got a lot better after a couple months.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Hi croydonlad, I've been thinking about this too. The first few weeks I felt that it was better (anything would be better than going to work every day in a dehydrated fuzzy fog). But in the past week or so I've felt really scattered. I texted a colleague today to ask if we were meeting at the usual time and she said, "no, I have to go to the doctor...don't you remember I told you this yesterday?" Urgh. Sure, after she said it I remembered, but it was just a big blank space there before she said that.

From what I've read here on SR, this is par for the course. Our brains are soaking in lots more information now since we're not saturating it with alcohol. We're in a process of rewiring. Until then, I'm going to have to write everything down, lol.
Yeah. Scattered is a good way to describe it as you say. I'm not too bad though and it is quickly clearing up for me. I'm just not completely clear yet. Pretty sure better sleep will help too but I'm getting there with that.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The first 2 months was pretty bad with the depression and the fog. It cleared out slowly gradually getting better. Then I have periods when it's like my brain shuts down to repair. I get these periods of "access denied" things you should know but you just can't get to. I consider that part of the larger PAWS. Supposedly most of the heavy lifting happens in the first 6 months. It all depends on how much it affected you.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm new as well, with 5 months. The first few months were pretty bad with memory and concentration as well as being in a fog. It's cleared up for the most part now but I still have my days. Just give it time, it can only get better!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=stark6935;4215416]I don't think it's because of stopping drinking. You probably just notice it more now that you're sober.

This is what my husband (recovering alcoholic too) tells me. He reminded me of my short term forgetfullness while drinking.With myself it could be hormonal stuff going on too. I'm almost 56, post menopausal . Whatever 'it' is...at almost 11 months sober, that's what IS. Bobbi
Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

My brain was fuzzy for about 18 months , I have about 125 iq (maybe more now i'm not hungover all the time eh ) my brain wanders off a lot anyhoo but it was worse than i was used to especially 12 to 18 months .

We're all different though but the common theme i've noticed is it get better with the more sober time you get , stick with it ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Croyden Lad,

I'm very new 53 days clean and sober and I am very much struggling just this last week or so with my thought processes!! As has been said very scattered thinking, it feels like my head is all over the place and my emotions too.

I'm glad to read from people with more time that this is part of the recovery because it has been worrying me - I so hope it passes soon - is there anything that can be constructively done to help the process along? I recently started a yoga class but that is only one evening a week.

Fingers crossed Croydon this will pass soon
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is day 50 for me after years of heavy drinking. And my cognitive functions have restored a great deal. Not completely still though, but the difference is very noticeable.

I'm not sure how long it will take to come back completely and it's not the same for everyone, but I'm confident it will restore fully.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im terrible. I cant remember what i did an hour ago let alone yesterday. Everyday has merged into a big ole blank of fuzz. So yes, my concentration is shocking to say the least. x