Notices

Need help

Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

Ugh, I can see this is never going to go away, is it?

I've been sober for just over a year and things have been going great. No urges (well, very few), feeling strong, healthy. Everything's been good. Until now.

A few weeks ago, I screwed up my back through a combination of weights & running. Just a severe muscle injury (the doctor thinks), but because the pain was so long-lasting, he put me on Prednisone for 12 days. I've been on that med before for another injury and knew what to expect, but I was drinking then and this time I'm REALLY climbing the walls and dying for something - anything - to relieve my anxiety. This stuff makes me so edgy and jumpy, and all I've been thinking about for the past week is how a couple of glasses of wine would help take the edge off. You know, just a couple of glasses. And we all know where that would lead.

How do you deal with situations like this? I haven't been able to exercise due to my back, so I've got a lot of pent up energy anyway. The steroids are only exasperating that feeling. Luckily, I've only got another 7 days of this treatment to go, but it worries me that my mind would immediately turn to alcohol in this situation. So quickly and easily, too.

Any advice? Thanks all...
Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you gone back to your Dr Shoebox?
That's the first thing I'd do if a med didn't agree with me or caused me problems?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, I haven't Dee. I thought I'd just try and stick it out. The Prednisone IS helping the pain in the back - it's nearly back to normal - but the side effects are tough. It's more of a mental thing, a need to relieve the anxiety. Maybe I should talk to see if there are other options. I just assumed that steroids are the best recourse for this kind of things (I've had spinal disc issues before, and they've always worked).
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just hang on in for seven days more.
I know it can be frustrating not being able to train; I tore my shoulder rotator cuff and couldn't weight train my upper body for three months.
After one year sober you would be pretty annoyed with yourself starting again, even a few wines......
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought it might be worth checking if there are other pain relief options that don't tickle your fancy quite so much?

Does your Dr know your history at all?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I thought it might be worth checking if there are other pain relief options that don't tickle your fancy quite so much?

Does your Dr know your history at all?

D
Yes he does. What's most disappointing about this, for me, is how quickly I fell back into "stinkin' thinkin'". It was if a year hadn't even passed. I thought I was beyond that now, but I can see I'll never have that monkey completely off my back. Always have to be on guard I guess, even for something as routine as a reaction to a medication. Ugh...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i was prescribed this same medication for severe allergic reaction - im allergic to hair dye - i bought a dye that i thought didnt include the chemical im allergic to - anyways i understand this frustration your feeling - i was crazily edgy - i dont have any other solution for you than treat this like a course of antibiotics - its necessary and any side effects are worth it in your long term health - im not a doctor though but im under the general concensus that your doctor has valued the benefit to be greater than the risk - but dee is right - we arent medically trained so you should 110 percent speak with your doctor - you have a year - a whole year im guessing that you know the benefits
Old 10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think to a certain extent, it's a chemical thing shoebox

if we take something that unwillingly excites those old addictive parts of our brain, it's not a moral failing...it just means we need to acknowledge that reaction and maybe make other plans?

D
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think to a certain extent, it's a chemical thing shoebox

if we take something that unwillingly excites those old addictive parts of our brain, it's not a moral failing...it just means we need to acknowledge that reaction and maybe make other plans?

D
You nailed it Dee. That old addictive part of my brain IS excited - you're absolutely right. It's looking for an easy way out and sees an opening, a weakness. Thanks for putting it in perspective. I'll try riding it out for another week, stay on SR, and chalk this up to something valuable I've learned for the future.

Does it ever go away for anyone?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I honestly haven't felt that part of my brain 'arc up' for a long time, but I've discussed my past at length with my Dr, and I'm pretty careful with what I put into my body.

D
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never been on steroids so can't say how I'd react to them. But coming up on four years sober I can say that nothing life throws me so far has made me think of drinking.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shoebox, I hope the next seven days pass quickly for you! It might not help right now, but imagine how proud you will be when you have completed this extended hurdle successfully. And then you will have that memory and knowledge of your ability in your toolbox for next time.
Good luck!