Advice about custody, I feel like it is a losing battle?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice about custody, I feel like it is a losing battle?

My husband is an addict, he spent a couple of weeks in rehab Jan. 2013 and he says that he is "sober." I saw a letter from his sponsor in April, however husband never wanted me to be part of his recovery and therefore I decided it was best for myself and my daughter (3 yrs old) to stay moved out of the house. I drug test/breathalyzer him when he spends time with our daughter alone. I moved out of our home with our daughter Dec. 2012 because I couldn't take care of myself, her, keep my job, etc.
I think it is important to also mention that I filed an order of protection against him in April 2012 because his disease had progressed to dangerous for us. The courts protected me, but not our daughter, after the OP trial, he was working a outpatient program, but started drinking again in July, got a DUI in Sept, I filed for divorce in Oct. and I moved out in Dec. and then he finally went to the inpatient program. He is very angry with me about me leaving and says "I stole his daughter." He had supervised visits up to April and then we have progressed to unsupervised in stages. Right now he has visitation every other weekend and Wednesday evenings. We are going to court again shorty and he does not want to sign the parenting agreement the he will not drink 24 hours prior to and during visitation times. My question is how much do I push this? Isn't he going to drink if he wants to anyway, he is an addict so he can't control it, right? The addiction is strong and I don't want to fight it anymore, how can I get out of the cycle while simultaneously protecting myself and my daughter, financially and legally. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond or read.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If he cannot commit to being sober when with your daughter, then I can`t imagine any judge granting him unsupervised visitation.

I think you need professional legal advice right now. I don`t know how it works where you are, but here there is legal aid for those who cannot afford a lawyer.

Good luck dear. Bless you for protecting your child.

Hugs
Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it were me I would be pushing it with that type history for sure I agree with Ann get legal advice.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi
Do not go easy on him.
Your daughter's safety is the most important issue here.
You need to know she is safe when she is not with you.
I would not be going for an agreement but for an order, then it can be enforced by the courts.
Bring all issues to the surface now & deal with them now.
Get legal advice from a good lawyer, sometimes the advice is free & you pay for any action the lawyer must take.
Best of luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you should defiantly push the issue! If it were me he would have to be 100% sober for a long period of time prior to having any unsupervised visits.