Notices

Well this is my second day

Old 06-03-2004, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Well this is my second day

Hi, i just joined and hoping this will help me to stay sober. This will be my second day being sober if i can make it through tonight. I am sure i will because it is late and i don't drink alone. I have tried many times to quit but I still go back to it. I am hoping and praying i can do this. If i can my life will change and i will be happy. So let's see what happens and thank for reading this.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome paul! my name is dot and im an addict. you will find a lot of support and encouragement here. stick around and post away! congrats on day 2. you can do it, and we're here to help!

hugs,

dot
Old 06-03-2004, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome

And yes your life will change...or better yet...How you deal with life will change. Sober I am better able to deal with what ever comes along.
Two things that help greatly... don't pickup even the first one and take it one day at a time (or moment at a time) to deal with not picking up that first one. Look about, ask questions... I am sure you will find many things here to help you on your way.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome Paul,

I was on day 2 just 2 short weeks ago. Today is the first day I've gotten the courage to post on the boards. Not quite sure I know what I'm doing? Never been on any boards before. This one is one I'm willing to bargain on. I've been reading for several days and I can tell you, you've come to the right place. Very supportive, caring people are here for you anytime. Congrats on day 2.....goodluck and keep it up!!!

Talia
Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi People

JC here alcoholic. One day at a time works (is working) for me. I work hard on getting today right. Tomorrow and whatever tomorrow brings is tomorrow. Just for today I'm going to try very hard not to have the first drink.

Try an AA meeting - they work. Just a room full of people all with the same goal. To stop drinking. I'm new to the AA - I've tried so many times before to quit on my own - and always gone back to it. I quit for six months on my own.... but went back. I can see now, from what AA long timers are saying to me, is that stopping drinking is just part of it. I have to change MYSELF if I want to stay stopped. And that I'm trying very hard to do as well, one day at a time, slowly, not expecting too much. At these meetings there are people there who are "THERE" and have stopped and changed. I can look at them, and believe them that I can do it too.

much love

JC

PS There are other recovery methods too, you'll find more info around on these boards - but with AA I can see all these people, who are just like me, but who have a much much better life now.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by DPAUL98
If i can my life will change and i will be happy.
Oh... You most definitely can!
Welcome. Sobriety starts with a simple thing really.
Today, I will not drink, no matter what.
I'm happy you're here, and that you gave me the opportunity to affirm my desire for sobriety, just for today.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Paul and 2Dayz,

I'm glad you're both here. This is the best place to come for support and understanding.

Love, Anna
Old 06-04-2004, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
knucklehead

dpaul98, welcome to sr i am a major retread at getting sober. i am gald you are here looking foward to reading your new sober adventure.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Anna, thanks for the slap up the head this early morning!
My apologies Talia!
A heart felt welcome to you as well!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Dpaul and 2dayz!

What they all said.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome Dpaul and 2dayz,
I've found a great amount of support on these boards. One day at a time is definately the way. Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow isn't promised to us, so we need to live in the day. Just don't pick up!

Sherry
Old 06-04-2004, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rest In Peace

Welcome Paul and Talia,
I ueds to think that the one day at a time crap was just that, crap.(when I was drinking) Now it's the only way I get by. One moment at a time.
Talia, keep posting, it gets easier and it tends to be VERY therapeutic.
Glad you are both here

CRS
Old 06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks

Well thanks for welcoming me to the boards ! I have quit before for about 2 months. The problem for me is going to the bars and not drinking. I am 25 so most of my friends are always out. I don't drink when I am alone and don't really crave alcholol but when I go out I don't stop drinking. I have alcholism in my family so I know I have to quit. I know it's going to be tough and probably lose some friends down the line but this will be the test to see who my true friends are.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul & Talia

((Paul))
You are wise to see the big picture and realize that drinking can no longer be an option. Once you get away from the bar scene you will find it easier to abstain. Don't torture yourself by trying to stay sober while in a bar with buddies . Maybe you could find some new sober friends at an AA meeting. Regardless, keep coming to SR, we are glad you are here
Old 06-04-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

WOOO HOOO!!! two more new friends to learn from and share life with. welcome Paul and Talia. the name's mike here and I'm an addict. glad your both along for the ride, hold on tight, it can get a little carzy here at times. Yeah we like to have fun too lol. Don't drink today you can do it, it's that simple. glad your here and make yourselves at home mike
Old 06-04-2004, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome Paul!

If you want to quit, stay quit, then you must do whatever it takes. That includes, staying away from peple, places and things that trigger your brain with the thought "WTF, I'm young, it's okay" "Just one", "But their my buds!", "Maybe I'm not that bad"... all of those thoughts that are beckoned by our disease.

You've made a great start by coming here, we're a great community of people who will give you all the support you need. Now, what's your plan?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Dpaul and Talia!!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Chy, well for now I am keeping to myself and avoiding the bar scene. I am just trying to focus on new hobbies and just keep myself busy. I think that is the key for me but that's easier said than done. I am not going to say that I will never go to a bar ! I think that is a negative and the rebel inside of me will want to go. I just say that I choose not to go today. It sounds crazy but I have to do what ever it takes.
I am also going to join aa as well. I have been hearing various things about AA some good and some bad. If anyone can give there thoughts on aa that would help. Well today will be day 3. This board is a big help and Talia thanks for the welcome and everyone else as well.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

Oh Talia, I forgot to welcome you as well
Old 06-05-2004, 12:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chy

Way to go!! Keep it simple do whatever it takes! AA worked for me. I can't imagine getting sober any other way, but it's not the only way. *hugs* Keep up the good work!

Here's a link you may find informative towards making your decision.
http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html