why worrying is a waste of time...

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why worrying is a waste of time...

Hello, SR folks! I just wanted to give you an update on my sister. I was reminded today why worrying is a waste of time and energy. When she didn't write me back last week, I was sure that she was backing out of her plan to go to a rapid detox center, but she wrote me today to say that she has traveled to the center and will be admitted tomorrow. So all that worrying, anger, fear, anxiety I was feeling...what a waste of time! Of course, even if she didn't go to detox, it still would have been a waste of time. Today I was given a happy reminder that I am not in control of her addiction, and all the worrying in the world won't change that. I'm hoping for the best but trying to keep myself grounded, too. I've been very productive at work this week, and doing things I enjoy in my free time. Feeling positive! Thanks for your support!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Glad to know that your sister is following through. I'm not sure why, but I've never been much of a worrier. I've always felt like worry (about things over which we have no control) is wasted emotion. Unfortunately, I have a daughter who worries about everything. I've never been able to get the idea across that worry solves nothing.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great news. I am a worrier. Hate it.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. This is great news. What's that saying...."If you worry why pray..if you pray why worry"? I am a worrier (HA...My auto correct keeps trying to change "worrier" to "whittler")...which is essentially the same thing. It'll keep you busy but all you'll have at the end is a piece of something you've been trying to control the shape of!!!

I'm excited and hopeful for you that because your sister made this decision for herself, and carried through with it, that maybe this is the time it will stick!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL, Lizwig, I love the whittling/worrying comparison. I will always remember that now when I get lost in what-ifs!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love the whittled/worrier auto-correct. You are right. In both cases you end up trying to shape something into what you want. Best to whittle. I too am a worrier, an excessive worrier. I'm worried about this post! JJJ, I'm so glad your sis is seeking help. This is her journey, not yours. Stand back and take a deep breath. I'll worry for you.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay for good news!!!!

I like the saying:

Worrying is like praying for things you dont want to happen
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

JJJ I am so thrilled to hear your sister is going!!! It is so hard not worry about the "what if's" but I too am trying! Praying for a great outcome for your sister!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi JJJ, I am a worrier, the biggest worrier! It gets to the point that I obsess over what I'm worrying about. And what I'm worrying about is always something I can't change or do anything about anyway! What a waste of good time, right? I even sometimes worry about my worrying! And I am blaming all this worrying on addiction! Maybe tomorrow I will only worry in the morning...ha, ha. Take care, TF
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all the worriers for letting me know I'm not alone. I have such a hard time living in the present! I'm always creating bad scenarios in my head and worrying about how to solve them before they've even happened! I think partly it's a consequence of growing up with two alcoholic parents. As a kid, I never felt like things were under control, because they weren't, and back then I couldn't leave, I was just trapped in the chaos. It's hard for me to accept as an adult that I now have the power to keep myself safe and peaceful. Sometimes I listen to an evening meditation while I'm going to bed that has affirmations that say "You are well, all is well, all is well with you." It helps to put me in a calm place, and I try to carry that into my day. Sometimes it works, sometimes not!