Notices

Youngin'

Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Youngin'

I know I am going to get a lot of well-wishes, optimism, and respect-- no matter what I post. And that is *lovely* -- but I'm asking for an honest, honest response.

Lately I have been contemplating going to a local AA meeting, because I am nearly positive I need help.

I was introduced to alcohol around the age of 14, though I did not start heavily drinking until 17. From 17-20, I would typically have 7-15 drinks per week. Currently, at the age of 22, my consumption has upped to 25-40 drinks per week, and frequently leads me to doing some other drug. It angers me to stop drinking once I have my first beverage. I simply cannot. I black out very rarely, and never become a violent or emotional drunk when I do. Though terrifying, I am consistently accoladed by friends on my ability to handle/hide my alcohol. I am but a less inhibited, slurring "me" while drunk.

My past relationships and current friendships very much rely on alcohol, and though I am not sure if alcohol has ruined any, I feel without it, my relationships would be less dramatic.

SO -- WITH THAT SAID --

Would I be out of place attending an open meeting ? My life has not dramatically changed because of alcohol. I have not hit rock bottom.

I find it may be offensive for such a young drinker to attend a meeting where the majority of the crowd is older and has probably had a harder time with their addiction.

Am I being silly ? Is my problem worse than I'm imagining ?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't believe you'd be out of place.
There are no adult age, volume drunk, or level of catastrophe requirements in AA

let us know how you get on
D
Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking. That's it.

I don't know where you live, but most places have AA meetings geared towards young people. The median age of my home group is about 26. I have several friends who got sober before their 21st birthday.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

I don't know what part of the world you are from,but here there are a lot of youngsters in AA.

Good idea to go to a meeting and see what you think.Go with an open mind and look for the similarities not the differences.

Also welcome to SR,sorry I should have said that first!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only requirement for membership (to quote an often quoted cliché) is the desire to stop drinking.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'd say with the level of consumption you give, your drinking is way out of control, despite the fact that you've had no 'consequences' so far.

Go to several meetings until you find the one(s) you like. It can't hurt. And don't compare yourself with the older more 'hard up' drunks at the meeting. We all have our breaking point, and I'd say you were a smart guy for wanting to stop drinking now instead of waiting til some of these bad things happen to you.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If your alcohol consumption is concerning you, it is concerning others too. For most of us here at SR, our lives are so much better without alcohol. Catastrophes are not required to quit drinking as many of us have quit before they happened, and many have continued well afterward too. There are many different approaches to sobriety, and AA is a great place to start.

Stick around, everything. Lots of support here for you.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

:3 thanks, everyone. i think i'll muster up the confidence, finally.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Last night's speaker had 15 years of sobriety. He became sober at the age of 21.

There is hope!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you joined us everything - and I hope the answers helped. I think you should be proud for taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life. I ignored the warning signs and proceeded to destroy my life. This won't happen to you.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you do whatever it takes to get and stay sober.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go for it! You are still young and taking control of the situation now will give you so many more amazing years ahead. I started drinking at 22 and it quickly spiraled out of control over the years. I lost a relationship, friends, hobbies, etc. and didn't even realize it until I was in deep. Finally, at the age of 29 I said enough is enough but I gave up a good chunk of my 20s to drinking. You can prevent that from happening to you.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Go For It; but don't be judgemental until you've gone to about six, and different ones, different themes, times, days, locations. I go almost(literally) daily, for 2.5 years. I also take what I need & leave the rest, highly recommend that, stay away from the "absolute" or "hardcore"; unless of course, that works for you. And don't think for one second spiritual means, christian, or church, it is what it says, a spiritual program.....Welcome!