Notices

Change in sobriety thinking

Old 09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Change in sobriety thinking

Hello!

I'm now at the end of my fifth day sober.

I've attempted to stay sober many times before over a few years and have done for long periods on my own, in AA, with counsellors. This time I would say I want to do it for me though right from day 1 rather than someone telling me I need to and me not really wanting to.

Over the last year I have had a lot of family illness, stress, constant work and a lot of drinking. I now have time off of work so can have a break so I don't know if some pressure has been lifted or it's a change in my attitude to sobriety but I'm actually not wanting to drink still. No cravings at all.

I know it's only day 5 for me but has anyone had this switch in thought towards sobriety before? Rather than craving alcohol I'm loving doing anything that doesn't involve it.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I can say is that it seems to me that a firm commitment - a decision you are determined to fulfil, along with other support like AA meetings or similar is what seems to have done it for me. Early days at 5 weeks but it is the longest for many years.

Previous attempts always felt just a tad reserved, as if somewhere at the back of my mind I just wanted to dry out enough to carry on drinking again.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of people experience that CL....some people call it the pink cloud but like mentium I think there is a difference when you know you're done

D
Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just could be the beginning of the end. Watch out for those "I've been doing great! - I bet I could have just one or two" moments though, they have a way of creepin' up on you.

Nice job on day five

I did feel like that this time around. It took a long time to get here though, a road fraught with failure, but yeah, I think I know of what you speak.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of people experience that CL....some people call it the pink cloud but like mentium I think there is a difference when you know you're done

D
The pink cloud?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The pink cloud is a term for the overwhelming good feelings some have in recovery, usually early on. Some say watch out, it's leading to failure but some swear they live on the pink cloud all the time by working their recovery program fully, with all their heart.

I was on the pink cloud too for a while but it sort of faded a bit. Now I still feel good most days but it's not a euphoric feeling, just a feeling of well being.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by croydonlad View Post
The pink cloud?
Hey You, Get Off My Pink Cloud | The Fix

There was nothing pink and fluffy in my recovery though. I did have that sense of commitment though, like I was really serious this time and it was actually going to happen (I had tried many times before). But that didn't make me feel euphoric, it made me feel f**king terrified. I did feel a sense of victory practically daily at that stage. Well done on your 5 days, long may it continue x
Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can see that. I can see maybe I've had a good day and maybe that has led to me not craving but the moment something goes wrong I'll pick up the nearest bottle. I know that won't help though.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

but the moment something goes wrong I'll pick up the nearest bottle.
Basically to me recovery is just not drinking in the face of badness. Or good things too. They are all potential 'triggers'. Just don't drink no matter what x
Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This time I would say I want to do it for me though right from day 1 rather than someone telling me I need to and me not really wanting to.
I had that change in thinking..yes. In any other sobriety attempt, it was more about other people's opinions. I didn't want the disapproval of others. It was more about caring what other people thought of me.

It finally came down to what I thought of me. And that has made all the difference.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be careful croy. I'm on day 13 and things were going well for me too until last night, when the cravings hit me like a freight train. I have them again tonight, though not quite as bad. Just be aware that they might show up outta nowhere. Congrats on 5 days tho
Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep. Has happened to me time and time again.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

...the moment something goes wrong I'll pick up the nearest bottle.
I thought that too, but I have had some horrible days sober, but still did not want to drink. Like Dee said, I think I just knew that I didn't want to use alcohol as a crutch anymore.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Croy!

I've had the same thing with this time around. I've tried to sober up many times before, but this one truly feels like it's going to stick. This time I just feel "done". I finally see drinking for what it is, and I hate it. I get sick to my stomach when I think about how I was and felt when I was drinking. If this is the "pink cloud", I hope it's around for awhile.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I don't know about pink cloud but I was just in a great mood yesterday. I was relaxed, the sun was out and I was sitting outside with a book and I was just feeling so content and happy without alcohol. I'd also had some great news about my mum who is sick with cancer. I was just loving life yesterday lol.

Today is not so great. Not great, not bad, just normal and I still don't want to drink.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds very familiar. For me it was the moment that I decided that I would never drink again. In that moment I made a switch that made it so I really don't want to drink. I've had very little cravings and they were just a feeling floating by in the context of not wanting to drink. So they had very little power.

And, like you, I enjoy the absence of alcohol in my life. It makes me feel good.

So yeah, this sounds very familiar to me.