Notices

Ouch

Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ouch

I'm 28. I drink half a liter of whiskey a night, on top of some beers or wine. I have really bad gastrointestinal issues and the drinking really makes it worse.

I really want to have a good life, I want to live long enough to have kids and to have a family.

I just want to be happy.

I just want to be healthy.

I just want to get better.

However, I can't muster the energy to try. Why do I not care about myself enough to try and get better?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome wizardry.

You made a first step joining here.

Most of us are struggling with something and want to get better, some have even got far, while other like me are in the beginning.

It can be done.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All the best Wiz. This is a good place to start.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by wizardry View Post
I'm 28. I drink half a liter of whiskey a night, on top of some beers or wine. I have really bad gastrointestinal issues and the drinking really makes it worse.

I really want to have a good life, I want to live long enough to have kids and to have a family.

I just want to be happy.

I just want to be healthy.

I just want to get better.

However, I can't muster the energy to try. Why do I not care about myself enough to try and get better?
That's the million dollar question, and you are the only one who can answer it. You obviously care to some extent as you are here seeking help, right? And I can tell you some good news - every single thing on that list that you want is something you can have if you can find it in yourself to put down the bottle.

Have you considered trying a counselor or local meetings? That might be just what you need to get over the hump and get started. SR is a great place to learn a lot about yourself and recovery in general.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome wizardry, lots of support on SR. Glad you are here.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR really helped me 'give a damn'. I hope we can help you too wizardry

welcome

D
Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to think I was destined to die a drunk. I knew I was headed for a breakdown but just didn't care. Thanks to my counselor and the good people here at SR I learned how to care for myself. I got sober and now live a peaceful life I never dreamed possible for a 'loser' like me.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Wiz!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wizardry! You will find support here and a lot of folks who care. TF
Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you wizardry! You do care - you reached out for some help. There's so much support & encouragement here - I think if you keep reading you'll become inspired. Happy you joined us.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Wiz, you are not alone, we all understand. For me, I've found what helped me get started was to come here and read other people's stories which has given me immense hope and inspiration. We've all been where you are but there comes a point when you get serious about making a better life for yourself. Are you at that point yet? I believe you are. Take a deep breath, close your eyes and say 'I will not drink today' and mean it. Then go to the mirror, look into your own eyes and say 'i promise you I will not drink today, I love you, you can do this'. Good luck, we're all here for you.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

The sober you does care. It's in there somewhere whispering. That's why you are here. Read and post, the only real thing that works is abstinence but getting there is rough until you get your mind right.