Notices

Alcohol and Blood Pressure

Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Alcohol and Blood Pressure

I'm curious to know what experience others have had with blood pressure and alcohol consumption.

Let me briefly share with you my own experience and the questions raised for me. I'm a 56-year old male and have been a steady drinker most of my adult life. In the past three years, I've stopped three times. The last two were for 8 and 6 weeks, and now I've stopped for two weeks.

The first time I stopped after having my blood pressure rise from my normal 120/80 to 145/100 or so. I felt revved up and antsy until I discovered the problem. My GP put me on blood pressure medicine, and I've been around 120/80 for the past two plus years.

Now that I stopped drinking, my blood pressure has dropped to 110/70 or lower, and yesterday, I had a splitting headache all afternoon and just slept it off. At first I thought it was food poisoning, but maybe it was low blood pressure.

This morning, when I woke up my blood pressure was again around 110/70, so I didn't take my high blood pressure medicine. Tonight, after dinner, my bp was 120/70.

I'm wondering if I need less or no high blood pressure medicine when I don't drink. I will continue to stop taking it and monitor my bp. A low bp is not good either.

Look forward to hearing the advice and experiences of others.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

See your doctor.

PS

Forum rules, we can't give medical advice. If you were taking BP medicine while you were drinking, did your doctor know? Regardless, with the change in you medical "history" you need to consult with the person prescribing the medicine.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I would consult a doctor on this, but my blood pressure noticeably went down after I quit. The good news is that it went from high to normal.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You should really see your doctor if you have concerns about your BP. We can't give medical advice here. Be very honest with your GP about your drinking too, that will very much play into what is prescribed or not prescribed.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My blood pressure was high when I drank. I was on Blood pressure pills, at one point I stopped drinking for weeks and it actually went to low. My Doc took me off my meds. Now when I drink it goes up. when I don't it's normal or even a little low. I say when I drink because I just gave it up AGAIN 3 days ago. Drinking really can effect your BP. Talk to your doctor but I bet he will adjust it or even take you off.. like me.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do not play with your BP meds on your own. None of the numbers you describe were low anyway, so you should not stop or skip your meds. See your doctor.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a fact that not drinking alcohol will help lower BP.
My BP will sky rocket if I drink alcohol.
Check with your GP,you may need a reevaluation on your meds.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would talk to your dr. But when I quit my blood pressure dropped dramatically to 90/60 I would get dizzy sweaty and almost pass out. No medical intervention was needed I just had to stand up slowly. It worked itself out rather quickly.

But definitly talk to doc before changing up BP meds
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I agree that you should see your doctor.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, talk to your doctor, and be very honest as to how much you were drinking when he/she put you on the medication.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

My BP was sky high when I drank. My triglycerides were high, and I was told it could either be alcohol, genetics, or some rare disease. I knew deep down what it was. Once I quit, my BP dropped right back down to normal and has stayed there. I'm 41 and luckily avoided having to take any kind of BP. I agree with what others have said, see your doc and be truthful about it.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was on BP meds before I quit drinking and I continue to be on them because I still smoke and that is what keeps my BP elevated. Maybe if and once I quit smoking, I will re-evaluate my BP. If it goes to normal, then I will discuss discontinuing BP meds with my doctor.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. You've confirmed my experience, and no breaking the rules. I see my GP regularly and he has been very supportive of me kicking the habit. Nice to have a reality check from those of you who have been here before. 16 days and working at it!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Before I stopped drinking my blood pressure was typically around 160/120. I stopped drinking just over five weeks ago and my blood pressure is typically around 115/75 now or about 45 mm Hg lower for both systolic and diastolic readings.