Notices

A mesagage to anyone around 1-2 month mark

Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope for change

A mesagage to anyone around 1-2 month mark

Greetings friends, I just wanted to quickly share my experience over the weekend in hopes it will help someone from having a slip. Well back in June after crashing my car I decided enough was enough and I admitted to being an alcoholic. So for about a month and a having I was doing excellent. Well one night I was going out dancing with girlfriends an decided you know a while has gone by, I don't see the harm in having one drink , well... Five shots later.... I was drunk, and the only reason I stopped there, because there is no way in heck I would normally stop there is that my gf noticed I was drunk- did I mention I was sneaking the shots behind her back???? Needless to say we left the club early, got in a horrible fight, and u woke up wanting to throw up and spent a gorgeous day indoors feeling depressed but recommitted to my sobriety. So that was back in August- fast forward to this past weekend. I got invited to one of those parities where u but food and spices and what not. My gf decided to stay home. and I decided this would be a good time to unwind and have a glass of wine. I'm sure u can all see where this is going, I had 3 glasses, snuck into the kitchen and found tequila and had three or four shots, and the. Had some spiced rum. So I got home way later then I said I would, I drove , and got into another fight with my gf. But you know what, failure was inevitable and here is why. I didn't have a plan for if I would be tempted. I just pushed alcohol out of my mind completely. But after a while, it creeps back in because I am an alcoholic and that's how it will always be. I can't act like in cured or let my gaurd down ever. Looking back on the events leading up to my relapses they were exactly the same. 3 days before each relapse if someone had a drink around me I would ask for a sip, or when I would pour someone a glass of wine at work I would take a deep inhale and felt the smell was amazing . Or I just found myself talking about alcohol . I need to completly cut it out, that even means sips and smells. And I need to never push the fact that I have an issue out I my head. I needs to stay relevant because when u act like u don't have a problem anymore u forget u have a problem if that at all makes any sense. Hopefully this helps someone
Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you....very much..because your post helped me!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you just weren't fully committed yet. I used to take sips from my gf's wine and it inevitably became a glass within a couple of days or a week. If you're thinking about it like that a relapse is coming, in my experience. You need to recommit and/or get help.

I also have found it easier to avoid drinking and party situations in early sobriety.

Do you go to meetings for support?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

right where you said "I decided to have a glass of wine" you gave yourself permission. I tell myself every day " I will not drink today" and stick to it....keep fighting for it don't give up x
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For many alcoholics that first drink sets up the compulsion to drink until you pass out or stop for some other unavoidable reason.

That's one of the reasons that one hears the phrase 'don't pick up that first drink' so often at AA meetings.

As an aside I used to get a bit annoyed by what sounded like clichéd slogans trotted out at AA meetings. I am now, at this stage in my recovery, beginning to see the wisdom distilled and compressed into many of them.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you IMT. I'm in this time frame in my sobriety, and I'm a binge drinker, so I need to be aware of what can happen. However, I do a number of things each day to keep myself in check. IMO, the most important is to remind myself that I cannot drink with control and I will never be able to drink with control.

I'm not pushing AA, but the More about Alcoholism in the AA Big Book helped me to finally realize I was an alcoholic, and that helped me to fully commit to staying sober. I think anyone in recover could benefit from that chapter, whether they use AA or not.

Anyway, get back on the sober trail and work a plan that will keep you from giving in when the urges happen.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks for your post, sure helped me. I remember quitting for a day, then drinking the next. I think that at some point I had to decide I was quitting for good, and get to an acceptance about my alcoholism. Once I accepted it, I could then do something about it. I made a decision, then took action. I haven't had a drink since.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this your turning point Its.
Thanks for the post

D
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My plan was avoiding all drinking situations the first few months of my sobriety.

It was a sure proof plan.Then I don't have to worry bout temptation.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on this time frame as well. My guard is up as this is the longest I have gone for as long as I can recall. I'm committed and will keep your post in mind should a situation arise where the temptation starts to grow. Thanks!