Notices

Bad guts anyone??

Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad guts anyone??

Is it a normal part of the process to suffer with really bad guts? As in diarrhea?
I've had this for over a month now and this was one of the symptoms that has scared me into stopping the drink - but it's not improving 9 days later.
I am thankfully getting an appetite back, but whatever I eat oooooew it just goes right through
Is this typical or do I need to see my Dr? (Who doesn't know about my drinking)
Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol disrupts our digestive system (and our sleep cycles, and probably everything else inside us).

Seeing a doctor will help put you at ease, though.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would see a doctor. That seems like a long time for that to be going on. It might be nothing but its better to find out i always think. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty common for most of us when we quit but really diarrhoea that lasts more than a few days, and now more than a week, you probably should get checked out.

D
Old 09-30-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya stressedmum....
There could be a multitude of reasons varying from binging to a simple bug.
9 days is a long time to have the runs .
Get yourself a hydralite from the chemist to replace your lost electrolytes.
They come in a drink , sachets or ice blocks.
Then tomorrow take yourself off to the Docs .
Ask him or her to do some bloods and you will be a lot happier.
Easy peasy :-)

Xx
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had it and it usually clears up in 5 days. I agree, might be an idea to pop to the Doctor's
Old 09-30-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've actually had bad guts and nausea for over a month now and this spurred me to stop drinking. I had my last drink 9 days ago, but no let up of the runs yet.
I am going to see my Dr. She's lovely and I think she needs to know about my drinking, especially as I've been on Prozac for 18 months x
Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I remember correctly, it took my tummy a couple of months to get back to normal. My doctor recommended that I watch a YouTube video called "How Diet Soda Causes Weight Gain," which discussed the importance of alkalizing the body and how various foods affect the body's pH. Cutting out diet sodas, in addition to the booze, was probably most helpful. I also found a cocktail of half aloe vera juice half lemonade to be very soothing. If you are concerned, though, it would be worthwhile checking with your doctor.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good on you Mum :-)
Now is your time to help you .if your doc is lovely book a double apt and spill ya guts
You can do it xx

Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My bowels have had quite the adventure in recovery I think partly because I gave up smoking too I don't think I had a bowel movement for months....! Well it felt that way anyway. It takes a while for things to get back to normal. Have you not been eating well either. Your bowels might just not be used to the food. I had a really bad stomach in early recovery and lived on chicken broth for a few weeks. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids and a trip to the docs wouldn't be a bad idea. There will be other things which need checking too and it really does help to have a medical professional helping x
Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thinking back things with milk (I was a slave to icecream), seemed to prolong the 'bathroom dashes'... but it's not impossible that you may have a bug without realising. No harm getting checked out, either way
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My doctors support has been a vital part of my recovery. She knows all about my past drinking and the problems it caused me and her support has been brilliant. I go in for a chat with her if i am concerned about anything and i find it helps. I think its a good thing you are going.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to have a fine old appetite but in the past year, I've left my partner, moved house and started life again as a single mum of 3, started smoking again and hit the drink.

Since this awful nausea started a month ago, along with anxiety and palpitations, my appetite has all but vanished.

I tried to convince myself that suddenly I was getting side effects from the Prozac, but a particularly bad black out the other weekend made me realise that my drinking was out of control.

Since stopping, the nausea has just about gone and my appetite is returning, but the tummy still isn't happy. It has took some abuse though, so I'm not surprised.

I am grateful for these physical symptoms though, because if I didn't have them, I'd still be convincing myself that I don't drink that much .......

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is wonderful to have this site here and I find it just as supportive and inspiring as AA xxx
Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

“That’s the problem with drinking, If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.”
—Charles Bukowski, Women

Love this quote hypochondriac- it says it all so perfectly x
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have stomach ulcers and digestive problems. This summer my husband and I really changed our diets for the better. We drink green smoothies with probiotics every morning. It has made such a difference in having healthy, regular bowel movements. Good luck.

On an aside, I just woke up from a wonderful night's sleep because I didn't drink any alcohol yesterday. It feels so good!