Notices

Scared do not know what to do

Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared do not know what to do

I am scared and waves of panic are running through my body. I feel so messed up and I have to work through the night but I cannot think. I want to go to a treatment center but I just want to be able to deal with stress and fatigue. Being alone and scared is not good for me.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's people here to talk to Ach
why do you feel messed up? you're getting your life on track, yeah?

D
Old 09-29-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Panic attacks and stress. I miss my dad, he is the only family I have. Being alone is difficult now. I want to find a higher power, I want to believe.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I think you have already found a higher power. It's sobriety.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you know how to do breathing exercises? They can really help to do for a couple min (be sure you're sitting down though). This one is from Dr Weil, a naturopath. I use them sometimes for anxiety.

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise
This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you the breathing exercises calmed me down.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

acheleus

yea breathing calmed me down. do you have a hobby you like to do. like reading, drawing, gaming, ect? try to do something relaxing. go to the chat room if need be
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I play guitar and I like my xbox. School is burning me out but I am trying to stay alive.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I play guitar and I like my xbox. School is burning me out but I am trying to stay alive.
Keep our chin up, Acheleus. You can get through this! We all hit some rough patches from time to time. School is burning me out a bit too, but I'm trying to deal with it. Maybe try going for a walk? That relaxes and de-stresses me.