Notices

Before we stopped.drinking....

Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Before we stopped.drinking....

Ok so my husband stopped drinking a few days after I did. Partly because of supporting me and partly because of money. He doesn't have the level of problems I have with alcohol. So we still meet our friends and I'm fine with coke and he gets tea or tonic water..but he always talks about some of the good times we had drinking and the funny things that happened and the "before we stopped drinking" thing. I told him he can drink if he wants to and he said he's doing what he wants and I'm not making him do anything. He talks about certain situations..like vacations or the beach and said that he will probably want to drink. I think we are coming up to the point in time where he is going to miss his drinking buddy. I'm hoping I can deal with it and stay strong. He has not in the slightest asked me to drink..but he seems to talk about it more than I do. If I ask him not to he'll say that in no way can we just forget our entire past. And our past has been drinking. Oh well..just part of the journey I guess. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. I wish you all the best in the world. Stay strong. Hugs.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it is part of the journey. And, when we make a life-altering change by stopping drinking, the effects will be felt by those around us. I hope that your husband can deal with your situation, and I hope that you continue to focus on your recovery.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My bf still drinks around me on occasion. I refuse to allow his decision to do so be an excuse for me to make a bad decision about drinking. He can drink beer or water out of the toilet for all I care. Either way, it's not changing what I drink.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can stay sober if you're doing it for yourself. Stay strong.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I have to just think about what sobriety means to me and not anyone else. DG0409.. loved the drinking out of the toilet line.. I'm going to remember that! Thanks!