Husband home after 90 days

Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband home after 90 days

So my husband came home Tuesday from his 90 day rehab. I knew that my natural reaction would be to baby him and protect him from real life and control, as best I could, his sobriety. So I decided not to make the house perfectly clean. I signed up for hooping class that would get me out at night. So when he came home he faced real life a toy strewn house and a toddler with a messy face. It has helped so much getting out of the house and for once doing something for me. I talked to my sponsor and I don't feel guilty a bit. My life didn't stop. His recovery didn't become my whole world. I coped better than I thought possible. I've been going jogging every night and trusting him to be in the house alone. I will work on me and he will work on him. Somewhere in the middle we have started to rebuild our marriage and things look hopeful. My happiness isn't controlled by his addiction. I'm so grateful for being able to come to this forum everyday and get strength from reading the stories. It has truly been a daily reality check of what I should be doing!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are in recovery when we treat our loved one as a normal person - who has normal privileges and responsibilities. We do them a disservice by walking on egg shells. The responsibility and success of his recovery is his and if he relapses the failure is his too.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post made me smile

That is "real life" with a toddler in the house, and I bet he was thrilled to walk back into it all. Also so great you started a fun class for yourself. I know it took a while for my husband and I to find a new normal, but it happened. Im sure it will for you too.