Being mad about random injustices in the world

Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being mad about random injustices in the world

Okay, I have to ask: what's with the alcoholics and their drunken rants about whatever their hot issue of the moment is?

Why do they do it? Is it even connected to alcoholism?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

choublak, what I think is, that, basically, they do it for deflection and protection.

It is a good way to put attention onto other things--and thus, away from any "personal" issues that they might have.

Also, it is a good cover for any low self-esteem that they might have. They can look smart, and moral and they can control the social environment and appear in control--authoritarian---powerful. Basically, compensation.

This is nothing m ore than my particular take on it--hatched inside my own little brain.

dandylion
Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, but it's not just alcoholics who do that.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

EXACTLY, my point!

dandylion
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KKE

Im not an A but I think I do this when something really challenging is happening in my life. Get really critical of other people, things, government policies, work.... Anything that isn't actually linked to the problem.

Think I agree with dandylion, definitely deflection and protection.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya, we can all do it. However, I think that the A's , well at least my A, suddenly becomes the most intelligent person on the planet and if Congress and those people in government knew what they were doing, they'd be knocking on our door for A's advice.

For me I can. not. stand. the tone when my A speaks like this. I want to scream :
"Are you kidding??? you can't even pronounce the words without tripping over them, let alone change the world". Really, you're gonna solve the problems with that bottle of beer?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think my AH does it because he's told me before that the booze makes him break out of his shell so to speak. I have often wondered if I could help him... ya know? *where's my hammer*

I usually cut him off soon after he starts bitching and remind him that he does NOT vote! Shad up fool! Usually works.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
I usually cut him off soon after he starts bitching and remind him that he does NOT vote! Shad up fool! Usually works.
Is he not registered to vote? Lol...
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My son did this when he was drinking. He was the know it all when it came to politics, justice, etc. Some of his rants were bizarre and ridiculous. I'd just sit there and look at him. He made no sense at times, but he'd go on and on. He knew it all. Or so he thought. I sometimes think he had such low self esteem that it made him feel better about himself. He just never realized he looked like a fool. He's almost a year sober now and the rants have stopped. I'll bet he doesn't even remember them......
Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Is he not registered to vote? Lol...
He is. He just doesn't do it.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anyone,drunk or sober, who spouts off their "I know it all" opinions are really a pain in the arse. However, the drunk is really pathetic and embarrassing. I can't tell you how many times everyone in the room just stared in disbelief as my AS gave his righteous opinions on a subject. He has always been a wealth of information and the smartest in the room......just ask him!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I refer to it as a brain loop. Drives me crazy.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

My favorite was always when AM would start going on about the lives of the people around her. How superior she was, like we were supposed to start singing "God Save the Queen" or something. I wondered where she got her "facts" because some of the sh*t she said was really out there. If only my life was nearly as interesting as she claimed it was.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My XAH would rant and rave at the TV all night. One of his most favourite rants and therefore, reasons to get drunk and yell at me, was because I didn't like a particular female politician.

He would try to question me for hours about WHY I didn't like this female politician. Every reason I had for my dislike was WRONG according to him. In the end, when I had detached a lot more, I would give really stupid reasons about why I didn't like her: "I heard she doesn't have any cats"; "Someone on Twitter said she farts in public" etc.

So he decided that because he liked this female politician and I didn't, he was in fact a feminist and I was a misogynistic, rabid nut-bag. Then he'd start another rant about how all women were ball breaking bitches. He'd make obscene remarks about the women on TV and go on and on - any attempt to get me to engage in a rage.

He made no sense whatsoever. The only sense I could make out of it all was that he was inventing reasons to drink.

It was madness.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I spotted a man walking along a busy street
yesterday, walking against the traffic, and
from what I could tell, he seemed mad,
aggravated or something, because his
mouth was moving, like as if he was angry
about either running out of gas down the road
and had to walk for gas, or who knows.

Was he an alcoholic? I haven't a clue.

Late yesterday afternoon, I decided to
cut our grass because rain is in the forcast
for the up coming week. Everytime I mow
the lawn I walk over dog sh*t in the grass.
I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but it
is a HUGE trigger that releases the anger
inside me that wants to beat the cr@p out
of the person who allows their dog to do
their business in other peoples yards.

I have no proof as to who is doing this,
but I want to blame the neighbor because
her dog is the only one I know she lets
walk outside her yard unleased.

It pissed me off because in today world
if you **** someone else off, especially a
neighbor, no telling what kind of retaliation
they could do.

My fear is, if I **** her off she may come
burn our house down or get someone to
burglarize our home if we are away.

See, I have those alcoholic thoughts that
pop up and are huge triggers that could
or would make me want to possibly drink
or have a confrontation with this person
and the beast would come out of me tearing
into her up oneside then the other.

In recovery for some 23yrs. sober now, I
still have moments in life that people, places
or things are not acceptable to me and cause
my temperature to rise. However, I find a quiet
place to settle down and say my Serenity Prayer
to find calmness in the mist of unexpectant
termoile and staying connected to my
program of recovery on a daily bases
allows me to avoid making a horrible
mistake by taking a drink that would
cause more harm than good.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i'm grateful on a daily basis that I no longer have to listen to those rants, or spend time trying to work out the unfathomable behaviour of another person. wishing you the same peace choublak.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the A is just like anyone who has their inner editor loosened after drinking. So while AH will keep his trap shut most of the time when sober, a few drinks just unleashes it all.

So I really enjoy watching TV with him when he's sober, but when he's had a few, like last night, he'll sling all kinds of racist, sexist, angry comments about whoever is on the screen at the moment.

I used to get up and leave the room when he started and he'd say "Where are you going???". Now when he starts up I only have to say "Are you going to be negative and nasty?" And he generally shuts up. If he doesn't, I simply leave.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem to me that rants have as much to do with alcohol, as they do with personality types.
My A doesn't rant, he just about shuts down. He doesn't rant drunk or sober.
I do though! I'm no heavy drinker, but half a glass of wine and off on a rant I may go...

Who, drunk or sober on the planet, likes what they see on the news?

What is this world fighting about anyway?!!!

Everybody wants it their way. No allowing others to think differently, gov't shutdowns, totally ineffective congress in the US, but the same type of dig your heels in, fight, and accomplish little or nothing the world over. Doesn't matter what religion, country, or socio-economic status. Why isn't there more live and let live?

There. My small condensed version of my rant.

And Sharon, it's just fertilizer!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Okay, I have to ask: what's with the alcoholics and their drunken rants about whatever their hot issue of the moment is?

Why do they do it? Is it even connected to alcoholism?
Makes them feel smarter and/or better than those who are participating in the random injustice.

And I don't think it has anything to do with alcoholism. I know lots of people who do that that aren't alcholic.

For myself, who has been known at times to also engage in such activity , I found I have to force feed myself other information, and steer clear of the people that are always on a "mission".

I don't read the papers or watch the news any more. All that did for me was make me a tightly wound dude who could complain really well about the state of the world. It gave me the ability to clearly define how wrong, evil, heartless, brainless, and confused everybody else was. I found when I stay away from that stuff I'm a much more positive (and happy) force to the rest of the world. I now prefer shifting my head towards the light, rather than the darkness. Not perfect at it yet, but feel headed in the right direction. And I've no concerns about not knowing what's going on in the world. Enough seeps through without my even trying.