You know you've spent too much time in AlAnon when...

Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You know you've spent too much time in AlAnon when...

Just for fun thread You know you've spent too much time in AlAnon when...

At the end of a work seminar you instinctively start to thank the speaker for their share, rather than clapping along with your colleagues (I caught myself at the "tha..." before I realised!)

You start writing things with 'as we understand it' after them. (This was part of my latest sentence to fall victim to this: "...numerical models that represent the system, as we understand it, through a series of equations..." )

You realise you've just inadvertently managed to have entire conversation almost entirely composed of AlAnon slogans as if AlAnon was in fact a language in its own right (mostly happens with other AlAnonners)

Your go!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

When you fall asleep with problems on your mind, say a prayer, and you wake up in the morning from a dream, with all your favorite Alanon-ers saying all their own favorite slogans/concepts.

No kidding, real deal:

J: [Mrs. Hammer] is not your problem, [Hammer]
B: Honey, EVERYTHING is right where it should be, right now.
D: We will just have to turn that one over to God.
on and on.

--------------------

Or maybe when you check the Texas state Alanon meeting online listing, and note the errors on time, missing listings, etc. for more than a couple of towns, and send them a note with the correct information.

(again, no kidding, real deal )

---------------------

When you have memorized the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions so that you can have a "meeting in your mind" while driving down the road. (not there, yet, but I know that is what I am doing, and decided not to fight it.

----------------------

Too Much Alanon?

Dunno. I don't mind it a bit.

Really Wavy, I do not think you can get Too Much, Alanon.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good thread, for me it is when someone asks for advice and instead of giving them answer like they want I go into a rambling share about my ES&H.

The good side is that a lot less people ask me for advice now.

Your friend,
Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When "Just for today" pops into your head about a hundred times a day - some Just for Todays from the bookmark, and some we just make up on our own...

Hehe...Just for Today, I will confidently wear a Transformers T shirt over my work blouse with slacks and heels and see if it catches on for a fashion trend. That one's true BTW

Yeah, Just for Today runs through my mind WAY too much.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You find yourself chairing the meetings, just because folks like watching you recite all the literature from memory.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You finish a conversation with "and with that I'll pass".
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When a friend comes to you and asks for help, you pat them on their shoulder instead and say "I know you will figure it out/solve it" instead of spending hours scheming for a solution with them.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I served my 4-year-old his dinner. He pointed to the noodles and said he doesn't like them. I replied, "eat what you want and leave the rest."
Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allysen View Post
i served my 4-year-old his dinner. He pointed to the noodles and said he doesn't like them. I replied, "eat what you want and leave the rest."
lol!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hahaha these have all given me a much needed laugh! I'm glad I'm not the only one Keep 'em coming!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sitting here falling out of my chair.... eat what you want - NOODLES! - and leave the rest! Too funny

Wavy - "numerical models as we understand them" - I hope you're not building the next airplane or subway station I use...

ShootingStar1
Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When you use "take care of you" as your excuse to go shopping... Way too much lately!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

i dont care if i have too much of my recovery, anything to stop the STINKING THINKING is a good thing in my book! lol
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When your coworkers/friends who are not in Al-Anon (because they don't have anyone struggling with alcohol in their life) start telling other people about how awesome Al-Anon is and start quoting phrases from the program.

This is all in response to how much they have seen how it has helped you.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was in a meeting with my boss and several other people. She mentioned something really amazing that had happened and I said " Wow! Your Higher Power is really at work in your life." Everybody just looked at me. I'm also in the habit of telling my coworkers who are struggling to take it ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

When a friend comes over to bitch about her husband (emotionally abusive and lazy as hell), and instead of getting all gossipy over coffee, you start to tell her that she can learn to detach from him to maintain her own sanity and start setting boundaries. I don't think that was quite what she was looking for, but I'm not going to sit and trash-talk her husband. It's a wobbly merry-go-round that she would rather complain about than get off, so until enough is enough, I have to be a friend from a distance.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First cockaroach of the season scampers across my kitchen floor. Is my reflex to stomp on it? Cuss at it? No, my reflex is to say "You are _not_ acceptable".

Mike
Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When you admit you are powerless over... slow traffic signals, annoying co-workers, socks that disappear in the dryer, the whereabouts of your car keys, how much you'd rather eat doughnuts than salad, the amount of grey in your hair, your daughter not answering her messages, and the cat's tendency to barf hairballs in places where you are likely to step in it. And become a happier and (I suspect) more pleasant person to be around.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When you get ready to send Christmas cards, and realize you don't know anyone's last name, not to mention their address
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When your best friend is runway coordinator at a charity fashion show and just before the show starts, she misplaces the list of the order the models go on, and you say "Just take a deep breath"....

ShootingStar1