Notices

Day 3 -Filling the Day with Anything Else

Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 -Filling the Day with Anything Else

It's my day 3, and all Day I have been trying to fill the hours and minutes with things to do that are NON-drinking related. I lost my job and today I walked the two miles there (and back) to turn in my shirts and hat. The HR lady and my previous boss were beyond understanding, and even gave me hugs and asked me to check in with them and to "not be a stranger". It's the best termination I've ever had, ha! I even picked up an application at a new place that had a Hiring sign out front.

I listened to some talk radio on my headphones and tried not to think about a drink. I applied online for a few jobs. Then I had to get up and walk around again, getting anxious, and I cleaned all my dishes, and then wound up in my bathroom on my hands and knees scrubbing our toilet, tub, and sink. I made myself dinner on the stove.

All these things may seem minor to some, but when you've spent a good portion of your time getting drunk, alone in your bedroom, watching internet videos and reading inane articles until you pass out, these are good steps for me - to actually start living, and DOING, not just watching time pass you by.

I'm thinking of other things to do other thank drink, and have made a list. Clean, write, paint, draw, look for a new job (very important there!) read a book, take a walk, call a friend, chat online, go to the library, walk in the park, listen to music - literally anything.

Here's to another productive day 4 tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, NewRebirth!

I'm the kind of person who never had an empty glass of alcohol at night til I passed out. So now I make a big pot of chamomile every night and I drink a ton of it. My mug is always full and that seems to help. I'm either adding water to the pot or sipping or adding honey...I don't know, the puttering around seems to help!

Hope this helps, stick with whatever keeps you sober!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a great idea, Melina. It was the same with me, I'd drink til I passed out - even if I blacked out, I'd still drink and forget how I downed a whole bottle. Great idea about the tea.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, the early days you get a lot done that's for sure.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NR I found so much inspiration in your post! Thank you for sharing a day well spent, you sound like sobriety is agreeing with you, congratulations on 3days!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was the same way but with exercise. Great job.best of wishes to you
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm at the point where there is probably enough chamomile in my bloodstream I would blow positive for it, ha!

And I'm utterly grateful for that.

Along with the taste that I just love, I'm secretly hoping it has the calming effect purported.

There's some stickies and threads on here about how to keep yourself busy sober. Poke around, let us know what works for you!