Notices

ugh im so lost

Old 09-25-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy ugh im so lost

So I am technically on day 5 of recovery. I admit I did take a couple low dose of oxycodone the last few day. Nothing like my habit ( 120mgs a day) maybe 10mgs at a time. Am I setting the with drawls back? I don't feel AS bad. Still a little bit restless and sore but nothing compared to dayb1,2 and 3.... Anyone have any insight??
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtoquit201 View Post
So I am technically on day 5 of recovery. I admit I did take a couple low dose of oxycodone the last few day. Nothing like my habit ( 120mgs a day) maybe 10mgs at a time. Am I setting the with drawls back? I don't feel AS bad. Still a little bit restless and sore but nothing compared to dayb1,2 and 3.... Anyone have any insight??
The only insight I have, and I say this with love, is that there is no "try." There is only do, and do not. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No insight here either. Don't pick up a drink and you will start to feel a whoooole lot better pretty soon! That's it from me in terms of wisdom! (Edit: I'm assuming you are talking about alcohol - apologies if not..)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic. I have a pill problem :-( i was prescribed them for a chronic back problem... And now I'm stuck. I have had about half the dose I usually take in a day in the last 5 with nothing today.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi trying, welcome. I am a recovering alcoholic. I did taper down when I quit drinking. What you are doing is tapering too. Continue to decrease the amount. Many do not feel tapering is good. It did work for me though. If you are unable to decrease, stop altogether. Very best wishes to you. Make a plan and stick to it.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic. I have a pill problem :-( i was prescribed them for a chronic back problem... And now I'm stuck. I have had about half the dose I usually take in a day in the last 5 with nothing today.

Did you tell your doctor/doctors you are an addict? That you need to stop being prescribed? If so ask him for help with the withdrawals.

My doctor prescribed something that helped that was one of the times I quit. Last time I went into a detox.

But if you really are quitting if you haven't already I would tell the doctor you are addicted and stop writing scripts. It was one of the most difficult things I had to do but necessary if I was gonna get and stay clean. I could not hold onto any reservations that I could go back to it. If anyone hasn't told their doctor they are now addicted they probably are not ready to quit, and are holding onto a reservation.

There are good non narcotic pain relievers too.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So you are getting rid of a pill problem, and when it gets tough you take the same pill you have a problem with and don't see that as going to be back to your using amounts and more very soon?

Ok, to put it in my experience and away from pills, I used to smoke. A lot. 21 years ago I quit a two pack a day habit for 18 months. Then decided to try one to see what the high was like because smokers don't feel it after they become addicted. Wow! What a buzz. A few days later I tried it again. Within two weeks I was back to two packs a day. I was unable to quit again for 18 years.

I learned a valuable lesson. That if I ever manage to work up whatever it took to quit smoking again for even one week, I now know that there is no taper for me. That seeking relief from withdrawal only makes it worse. And that I will never throw away my non smoking if I could just manage to quit one, last, final, time. I was coughing my brains out, and puking from drinking 30 plus beers, wines, scotches a day with scotch in my coffee to stop the shakes at the end of my drinking. I was lucky in that I already made it to financial security before I became a hermit drunk later in life than many. I was afraid of killing myself by drinking under the influence. So stayed home to drink getting my wife to get my DOCs for me.

If I could only quit, get a head start, get it out of my system, I would not let myself ever talk myself into doing what you are doing now. I learned that it was like my wife being pregnant. She wasn't just a little pregnant. It is an all or nothing as you are about to learn the hard way, if our passing along what we learned about freeing ourselves from our addictions.

Is it the same? Aren't each different?

No. How long it takes to get over withdrawal, how long to become secure in recovery, what substance we are addicted to - sure those vary from person to person.

But quitting is the same for all addicts and problem substance abuse. We can't quit a little. It is all or nothing.

Three years ago I checked myself into a VA hospital to detox from my extreme alcohol addiction. Since I was going to detox anyway I figured why waste it on one drug? I never looked back because I learned if I wanted to be free, it was up to me not to talk myself into that one cigarette, one drink. My relapse in smoking saved my life later when I needed to quit both.

That was three years ago. No relapses and never will be for me. I don't feel, and never will feel deprived of my ethanol or nicotine fix. I am free of cravings now too.

SR had a lot to do with it. Join us in becoming.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Tryingtoquit,
How are you doing?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! We have a forum just for substance abuse. Take a look if you want. I'm glad you found us. There's a lot of support here.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am alive. Its been 8 days. I'm exhausted and irritable. I'm in constant pain. I'm miserable. My kids are to young to understand how hard it is to get out of bed. Ugh I know this is the longest part.....
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Get as much rest, fluids, good foods, vitamins as possible!! Definitely try to see your DR - be TOTALLY honest - he might even provide you a temp prescription for sleep meds. I didn't see why you were taking the other pills? They don't help withdrawals - just prolong it - give your body something to deal with on top of detoxing from alcohol.

Exhaustion and fatigue may be something else - another good reason to see your DR - get some tests make sure something else isn't going on. Sometimes ppl have other medical problems and they drink to self-medicate. Hang in there 8 days is awesome!!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My kids are to young to understand how hard it is to get out of bed
won't it be great that they won't have to see you loaded either...

you are doing great...keep up the good work
Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My date of sobriety was the day I stopped both alcohol and drugs completely.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there tryingtoquit,

You want to get to the other side and you will.