Notices

My bucket leaks

Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No half measures

My bucket leaks

I find my recovery is like a leaky bucket. I have to keep putting good things in the top because ventually they will come out the bottom. If I put good things in faster than they are draining out I'm moving forward. My alcoholism tells me im fixed, I don't need to do anything else but I know this is a lie.

I have to be ever vigilant in my recovery, always moving forward and never accepting the status quo because the alternative is a place I never ever want to go again.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am beginning to realise what the word 'recovery' means I think. In the past I always assumed all I had to do was quit drinking - problem solved. And of course to quit drinking that is all one needs to do.

But many people become dependent on alcohol for a reason or a series of reasons. These can range from using it to mask depression, to boost confidence, to just feel more relaxed than they might naturally be..or a host of other reasons too I am sure.

If we are in that category then we need to work at those issues once we have quit it seems to me. If we don't then the reasons alcohol was so attractive in the first place have not been dealt with and relapse seems to be to me almost inevitable. My problem is minor anxiety mixed with a slightly tense natural state. I am starting to learn to meditate (mindfulness rather than thinking meditation). I have only been doing it a few days but I am noticing some impact already.

All the best with your forward planning Wakko!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes, there is stage one and stage two recovery. Stage one is quitting the drink. Stage two is dealing with life on life's terms.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi wakko, I agree. I have to keep moving the goal up a foot. Complacency is my enemy. Very best wishes to you wakko. I hear you.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I first quit drinking that was all I could concentrate on - not drinking. After a while I started the process of real recovery, relearning how to live.