Notices

What kept you busy in your first weeks of sobriety?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping my mind busy is the hardest thing for me which is why I am at day 2 once again.

I have exercise restrictions, so I can only lift weights for now, whereas I used to run my cravings away.

Yesterday I drove to the beach, really taking in the view and the sounds of the waves. It really helped!!!

I have always wanted to start an Etsy shop for the greeting cards I make, so maybe now is a good time to do so.

Maybe I should ask for more hours at work? I only work two 8 hour days a week.

What are some things you guys have done to keep your mind busy?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

During the first few weeks of my sobriety I was in the middle of refinancing my mortgage. Thus, between getting caught up on my taxes, the appraisal process and all of the paperwork, I gave myself virtually no free time. To this day, I still only allow myself one "rest" day per week. Meaning, as soon as I wake up, I get up, make my bed, and get into my workout clothes. The human mind is very "patternistic" in that you are going to have to consciously develop some newer, more healthier habits if you're even remotely serious about your sobriety.

One pattern of behavior that helps me to this day is to live each day as if it were a separate life. Meaning, if there was no tomorrow, if putting any and everything off were no longer an option, what would you start doing? What books would you start reading? What repairs would you start making? What places would you go? What would you start learning? Who would you call? What amends would you make?

For example, over the last eleven months, I have put a new roof on my house, refurbished two rooms with new paint and flooring, and read more than nineteen books. When you start viewing your life in this kind of light, you will find that your days fill up very quickly.

“Something else an academic education will do for you. If you go along with it any considerable distance it’ll begin to give you an idea what size mind you have. What it’ll fit and, maybe, what it won’t. After a while, you’ll have an idea what kind of thoughts your particular size mind should be wearing. For one thing, it may save you an extraordinary amount of time trying on ideas that don’t suit you, aren’t becoming to you. You’ll begin to know your true measurements and dress your mind accordingly.”

- J.D. Salinger

Good luck and God Bless
Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best decision I made early on was to be comfortable with being bored.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorted junk out for car boot sales.
Had long baths and facials.
Went for drives with loud music.
Cooked food for the freezer.
Chucked out loads of paperwork and sorted my office.
Organised photographs on my computer.
Read newspapers on line.
Did my nails.
Went late night shopping.
Went to the cinema.
Got my garden sorted out.
Planned days out and looked for coupons that gave me money off.
Tried to do baking.
Donated to the charity shop so I had more space and less clutter.
Exercised.
Went for walks wrapped up in the cold.
Got my birthday book and address book sorted out.
Bought cards for birthdays in the future.

For me it was liberating to be able to still do things or drive or go places or speak with people after 7.30pm. I was usually too drunk after this time, housebound and hid from people so they did not know I was drunk.

At first I did have to keep busy and keep occupied, but now it is very much second nature for me not to drink on an evening or during the day on a weekend.

I wish you the best xx
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did a lot of small stuff that I had been putting off for months/years in order to drink or be hungover. It was very rewarding and kept me busy.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Not drinking. It took all my time and attention the first couple of weeks.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Rehab
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I also found that this time around concentrating on just not using was the best time filler for me. I've had periods where I stopped before where I emerged from rehab and tried to change the world in the first few weeks!

I definitely benefited this time round by just trying to change my thinking and nothing else.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few weeks of my sobriety I'd walk my dogs anytime I was bored or had cravings to drink. (they got a lot of walks for a while)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I work in the yard/house and on my vehicle constantly.
But, it's not just to keep my mind off drinking. It's stuff that needs to be done.
Look around,I'm sure you can make yourself a honey-do list. Even if it's painting something.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post

One pattern of behavior that helps me to this day is to live each day as if it were a separate life. Meaning, if there was no tomorrow, if putting any and everything off were no longer an option, what would you start doing? What books would you start reading? What repairs would you start making? What places would you go? What would you start learning? Who would you call? What amends would you make?
I absolutely love this advice!

I've taken the time myself to discover what I truly enjoy. I've often struggled with time off, or free time. I feel that if I'm not being "productive," then I'm wasting my time. And that often led to feelings of being a failure, which inevitably turned to drinking those feelings away.

I've had to redefine how I look at being productive. I've realized that "being productive" doesn't necessarily mean checking items off my to-do list. It means living an authentic life. I used to think that using that free time to read was being selfish and unproductive. But I now see that I'm doing what I enjoy while I read, and I'm living my most authentic life when I treat myself to what I enjoy. Reading now fits within my definition of being productive.

I hope you're able to discover new revelations about yourself during this time!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first few days just surviving and constantly checking the own mood and feelings.

During the first two weeks plus I did:
)SR browsing,reading,some writing
)TV-series, Prison break, from season 1 to 4, all episodes. Therapeutic value as I actually felt like breaking my way out of the prison of addiction. So all those episodes, gave some good use of time.
)Tea drinking and taking it easy on purpose, not minding the grand picture etc.
)Just simply not doing anything heavy or consuming... pacing the day slowly and staying focused on recovery. Focusing on recovery was of great value especially during the first month.

SO keep going, it is worth it.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I go to an AA meeting every day. 1. It gets me out of the house once a day. 2. Others stories remind me I have a problem and that I have to stay vigilant. 3. Other success stories and celebrations (today someone celebrated 22 years sober) inspire me to keep going. I am on day 12 and would not have made it this long had it not been for AA! Good luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

Not drinking. It took all my time and attention the first couple of weeks.
Me too, I've spent the same amount of time avoiding alcohol as I used to get and consume alcohol. Other than that, taking walks, browsing SR and planning vacations ahead of time for the first time in over 2 years. And working alot, it's tough but keeps me sober!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I repurposed an old entertainment center into an aquarium stand, painted my place, refaced my kitchen cabinets and tiled the kitchen.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA meetings at least 1 a day if you can swing it - definately ask for more hours at work - they say the worst company for a drunk is himself alone.