Notices

Feeling fat and alcohol

Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling fat and alcohol

I am new to sobriety, my longest time sober is 21 days and today I am on day 2....I am so ready to give up drinking and I have seen a huge improvement in my life since having some time of sobriety....but I never can make it past 21 days. I also have an eating disorder and always used alcohol to suppress my appetite, everyone knows if I'm drinking, I won't be eating. However, when I'm hungover I usually feel so bad I will eat way too much trying to feel better and then feel fat and want to "fast with alcohol" again because I've somehow convinced myself alcohol is good for my weight when I've gained so much weight from this cycle and only started to lose some this year that I've manage to cut down my drinking...so while my rational brain knows that drinking is only going to make me fat bloated and wrinkly, my alcohol brain tells me this isn't true. And right now I am still hungover and ate too much the past few days and have gained weight and I hate that so bad and know if I cut down my calories too much I will crave alcohol, or sugar...both really bad things when you have an eating disorder/ alcohol addiction.....anyways I guess I just wanted to say this because it's one thing that always makes me drink again and again and it's irrational and I need to be honest with myself that this thinking is insanity and all the work at the gym and jogging I've done is all but wasted after I binge drink....I just don't want to be fat....and I hate that once again alcohol has brought me nothing but grief and set me back....this time I am determined to change, i started aa and I've told friends what I am doing. I am so sick of feeling less than I know I can be. My quitting isnt only about weight either, it's just a problematic area of my life that I believe is closely related to my drinking...I guess this is me ranting and trying to not think about how fat I'm going to be tomorrow?? I don't know!!! I should just be happy to be alive and still have family and friends that love me
Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Doogie92,
Try and have a bit of love for yourself. Congratulations on being 2 days sober, that's fantastic! Have you tried OA too? There are some amazing people there, and they are so helpful.
Just take one second at a time.. Try and stay in the now
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never even heard of oa lol
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh wow it's fantastic! Overeaters Anonymous. Have a try, there's quite a few meetings about. They could help? It's definitely worth a try.
I met many people who are in AA and OA also, so perhaps that comforts you a bit?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not actually that fat!!! I have bulimia not over eating
Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Which I guess is over eating hahah....but i either "purge" by puking or replacing food with booze...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OA is just the name, it's for people with all different ED's.
Iv struggled with anorexia and bulimia so I understand the shock when I said OA. When someone said it to me, I thought omg she thinks I'm fat.. But no!

It's just the name and it covers all ED's. There are some wonderful people there.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh k thanks I'll look into it. Sorry but that was totally my reaction was you think I'm fat and yet you have no idea what I look like hahah...crazy minds
Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I struggle massively with understanding my eating.. Sometimes I'm also quite convinced that I'm an overeater but I think that's my brain and a spell of binging.. Haha. So I'm just trying to take one day at a time.. And have 3 healthy meals.. :/
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Haha I know I completely I understand. I don't think your fat haha you had the same reaction as me.. Which probably means your quite the opposite to fat
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ugh yes it's all very confusing, I also have to convince myself to eat normally...as if dealing with the alcohol wasn't enough...and I actually am not skinny so that sucks
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand it can be really tough. Some days I get to Iike 3pm and haven't eaten and then I always manage to convince myself I hadn't realised but really I was so hungry all morning haha. Crazy minds. There's no harm in doing aa and oa? My husband does aa and ca, he just checked it with his sponser first..
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What's ca?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

CA = Cocaine anonymous