Notices

Find this odd?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Find this odd?

Why is alcohol the only social drug in the world if you have too much, there is something wrong with you, if you have none or abstain, there is something with you too? Just something to think about.....crazy world...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my opinion, this is an idea that only alcoholics/problem drinkers/heavy drinkers have. After I sobered up and started socializing with more people that never had a drinking problem, I realized that the average person doesn't give a damn if you don't drink.

Also when I sobered up, this was a threatening development to my drinking buddies, who perhaps had to realize that maybe they have a problem too.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Taking5 is right. Only other alcoholics care if you're drinking or not.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have experienced the same as the above two posters. No one seems to care if I don't drink. In fact my friends with drinking problems have actually told me they envy me because they feel like they can't quit.

I know there are people who feel there is something wrong with people who don't drink but I luckily don't have them in my circle of friends.

Could be an age thing. I am pushing 50, when I was younger my brothers made fun of anyone without a drink in their hand...life has wisened and sobered them up...gotta love the threat of divorce and type II diabetes...and they don't act that way anymore.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A lot of people only drink a few drinks and I doubt they really feel a whole lot from it. These people don't care if you are drunk. I do have friends who think everyone needs to be getting smashed with them though.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I like the saying: We live in strange times where if you don't drink, then people think you're an alcoholic.

On a serious note, my drinking buddies at the pub were bothered by my not drinking, but they didn't put any effort into chasing after me when I stopped going to the pub. There were also the normal drinkers who didn't know about alcoholism and though that I could drink again after I dried out a bit. The second kind were harder to deal with because they remind me of every alcoholic's elusive dream: to drink normally.

I think a lot of the problem is how drinking is marketed to us as a sign of having made it, of living the good life.