Notices

Strong Now Scared for the Future

Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strong Now Scared for the Future

This is the 5th day without a drink. The nights are the worst since this is when I normally drink and my body knows this. My anxiety is getting some what better.
I know I have the right mind set and I'm not going to let myself down. I'm just scared of the future I'm scared that I'll forget where I was at once I'm completely healed. I'm scared that maybe 1 or 2 years down the road I'll relapse. I worry Ill let my happiness cloud my judgement and this is what gives me anxiety. I haven't had a panic attack in years and I worry that I will just because of this thought that I will lose it all. Does this thought fade away?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me after many years of drinking to excess it is and will always be a day by day commitment. I need to receive daily ongoing support and to give the same.
In my view a support group, all intent on sobriety, helps to achieve this.......and I need all the help I can get.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That's how I started off Curt. Scared I wasn't going to make it out of this. It actually helped me fight the urges of early sobriety. I still have some of the same fears you mentioned about what happens after I forget. I just keep hanging around here and keep learning. Even though I don't spend much time fighting urges anymore I still have recovery on mind my daily. Congratulations on your 5 days in. I agree you do have the right mindset.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Curt, you're doing great. Just focus on the now.

I have those kinds of thoughts too sometimes about the nebulous 'forever,' so I know where you're coming from. Someone on SR said awhile back that one year from now, it will still be 'today.' That's a cool way to think about it.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Curt, you're doing great. Just focus on the now.

I have those kinds of thoughts too sometimes about the nebulous 'forever,' so I know where you're coming from. Someone on SR said awhile back that one year from now, it will still be 'today.' That's a cool way to think about it.
Thank You kadidee, this is an awesome quote and very helpful.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Curt I think those fears are pretty universal. I know I had them.

What I've found is, if I never take my recovery for granted, I won't lose it.

I've been in recovery since 2007 - coming here to SR reminds me of the job at hand and keeps me grounded.

Some days might require more work than others - especially in the early days but I haven't slipped and I have no reason to fear I will

It's like maintaining an engine. I may not need to use the engine every day but I know it's ready to fire up anytime.

D