Notices

New to the site

Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site

I would just like to say hello to everyone. I am new to the site, am a writer and have been working online for as long as I can remember. I am from Malaysia, have two sons, have been drinking to sleep for....god, can't remember but since 2006. I hate it....every time.

Anyway, I see that there is a lot of support in this forum, something that I would not dare to outwardly seek in real life (but that is where the problem is, isn't it? Cause everyone thinks that you have got your act all together) I am a single mother but have a relatively decent relationship with kids' dad (for their sake, not mine) and not actively seeking out a new relationship. I don't have the time and heart to handle another new relationship. The damage is just too extensive. But I don't want to die a loner (hahaha...such a checkmate) but that is not my focus right now.

My focus is how to stop drinking myself to sleep. I can't seem to do it. If you have experience in how to stop drinking to sleep, please help post it up here so that I can slowly follow the steps. I don't think I can just stop drinking just like that.

Decreasing is one way, I know, and I am starting to pick up exercise as a way to destress.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, and lots of love,
M
(yes, just address me as M will do - LOL)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome M

I understand you don't want to see a Dr, but personally I find tapering is too onerous - and not really effective. If I was good at portion control, I would not need to taper.

Tapering, unless you know what you're doing, may also not be safe.

For that reason and because a tapering schedule counts as medical advice under our rules, we can't give you step by step tapering instructions here anyway.

Whatever way you choose - I think you have to steel yourself for a few nights of unavoidable insomnia or fitful sleep, especially if you've been self medicating for a while...

but after a few days most of us find a natural pattern of sleep again

D
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for advice on tapering...

Thanks for the advice...I have heard that quitting immediately might be a little dangerous too so, I don't really know what to do next. I guess I will browse through all the other topics to see if there is anything I can use.

Thank you, Dee74, for the response. Appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site! You'll find lots of support here. I used to drink wine too and thought I couldn't "sleep" without it. Now that I'm sober my sleep is so much better.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR M

The best thing to do would be to speak to your doctor about the best way to stop drinking. We can't give medical advice here and really your doc can provide you with a plan for tapering if he feels that is best or a medically assisted detox...

What we can provide here is lots and lots of support I have checked in here daily since quitting and it really has helped me to keep the motivation up and kept me accountable. You can post the 'Class of...' threads for ongoing support from others who are quitting at the same time as you, or you can just update this thread, or start new ones...

Glad you're here x
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome M, we're all here to help each other.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey M , welcome to SR, good luck in your journey x
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome M, Glad you are here. Best wishes to you.