Notices

Life is good, but for how long?

Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is good, but for how long?

So it's been 6 weeks that I have been sober. I have conquered a few fears like attending work functions that have a ton of alcohol. I've traveled for business an entire week while attending a conference that's more like spring break by myself. I also attended a concert with an open bar. All while staying completely sober and totally enjoyed myself. I had a plan for everything and stuck to it. My relationship with my wife is unbelievable and we are laughing and loving each other as if we first met. My attention span with my children had taken a turn for the best and I'm completely entrenched in everything they do. I am on such a high right now that sometimes I feel like screaming with joy. But does this last? Will I always be this strong? I'm curious to know if this is a common phase of a bing drinking alcoholic in recovery? I told my wife that the choice is easy when it comes to alcohol because the reward out ways the risk ten fold! The joy and happiness seems to good and easy to be true. I don't want to come off as bragging but I need to share this feeling. I can only assume that the answer to my questions is a simple as my tag line states.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on 6 weeks Lando45!

What's so bad about feeling good?

You may be experiencing the "pink cloud" affect, but enjoy it.

Nothing can interfere with your sobriety unless you make that choice.

Sounds like your head is in the right place.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Pink Cloud" I knew there had to be a name for this. According to SR if I stick with the 12 steps it should last for as long as I want.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on six weeks! It's nice to hear about your positive experiences.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Some say it wears off after a while. Maybe, but maybe you can make it last by always doing the next right thing.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are likely to be some ups and downs as life moves along, but you have a great attitude for getting through those. I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, you've succeeded in spite of some real tempting situations, Lando. Congratulations!
One thing I have done to help me in the future is to make an ongoing list of why being sober is better than not. Maybe a similar list would be helpful when the going gets tough or when temptation comes knocking.
Regardless, enjoy whatever cloud you are on. I am sure your wife and kids are enjoying it as much as you are!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lando45 View Post
I told my wife that the choice is easy when it comes to alcohol because the reward out ways the risk ten fold! The joy and happiness seems to good and easy to be true. I don't want to come off as bragging but I need to share this feeling. I can only assume that the answer to my questions is a simple as my tag line states.
the price is constant vigilance. Meet the price, and it can be a lifetime.

Remember how the feeling of having the relationship with the wife and children feels when the thought of "just having one" claws at the consciousness.

there will be good times, bad times, and mediocre times. Life a collection of these experiences. None of these experiences are improved with alcohol for an alcoholic.

congratulations.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Life will have ups and downs but the "ride" your own can last for the rest of your life.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

None of us are immune to illness, death, the loss of loved ones, and bad fortune simply by virtue of being sober. Working on our sobriety allows us to manage all these things much better than we could ever imagine. And remembering our better days helps us through the darkness.

Grounded, reliable sobriety reframes life as an adventure to be lived, instead of a problem to be solve. Sadly, and though this is available to everyone, not everyone is up to the challenge.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Heh. I've had the same thoughts. Around 6 weeks, I was asking myself and my sponsor, "why am I feeling this good and everyone around me seems to be struggling? Am I just deceiving myself? Setting myself up for the other shoe to drop?"

My sponsor's response: If you're feeling good, enjoy it. But know that eventually, whether you like it or not, you're going to have to confront a difficult issue. The question is, are you doing all you can to be ready for it?

Now that doesn't mean living life in fear of relapse or waiting for something bad to happen. He explained it meant that as long as I'm doing everything I need to be doing to protect my sobriety, that I'll be okay.

I'm almost 6 months in and I still feel on top of the world. But in that time, I've also lost a romantic relationship and my dog had to be put down 3 weeks ago. But I'm still so grateful for how much better life is now than it was when I was using.

So enjoy it! You deserve to feel good!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad everything is going great for you. Write down how good you feel, and where you were at by comparison.

At some point, it is certainly likely that drinking will seem like a good idea to you.

This is when you need something to refer to or turn to.

I'm not trying to be negative, it's just that life has ups and downs, and right now, it's great that its mostly ups.

I had to decide for me, that no matter the question, drinking is never the answer.