Notices

hi friends

Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi friends

wanted to introduce myself here. i've been a daily drinker for about 4 years, and withdrawal symptons have just become unbearable. (lying in bed miserable for 2 days, tremors, itching, paranoia, nausea, depression, kidney aches) not to mention my psychological addiction to pot, which is just about as easy to obtain here in LA as alcohol. this time it's gone too far.

fun story. last week, i was passed out drunk at 2 in the afternoon. i was blocking my roommates car and moved it. blackout and 6 hours later can't find the keys after 5 minutes of searching my filthy room. i decide to give up on my search and put it off for a full week, taking the bus and cab to get to work. when i sobered up and started my search again, sure enough- keys were in the front seat of my car.

i'm a week sober now, (my record was 25 days in June) but this time I finally got the courage and attended AA. Don't have a sponsor yet, and I'll admit, is a little weird given I'm an atheist (though I know it's not about that) but I'm going all in 90 for 90 this time. What are 3 months of my life that might save it vs. more of the same hamster wheel?

Anyway should be posting here and there.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi kidA! Congrats on decided to make a change. A week is fantastic. I'm new to sobriety, so don't have much in the way of advice, but wanted to say "welcome."
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome. I've found this site really helpful through the tough days. I'm sorry your withdrawals are so terrible. Have you seen a doctor yet just to make sure your body is doing ok? Obviously all of these sensations are showing that things weren't ok, but a doctor may be able to see that you're going through a normal process or if there are any red flags or shocks to your system... And may be able to help alleviate. Anyway it's good to know a pro is watching just in case, withdrawal can be dangerous
Other than THAT, good job calling it quits when you knew things weren't right.
I knew I had to quit living the way I was in July, so I'm fairly new too. I still forget where I put stuff though. Ha!!
Gotta say, life is better on this side, and there is something amazing that happens when you share what you're going through with other people who empathize. Best of luck
Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to KidA

D
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hey KidA! Welcome.

I'm an atheist too, but AA has really helped me turn my life around. My higher power is not some all-powerful god in the sky. Mine is personal to me.

So glad you're trying a 90 in 90. Try to keep an open mind and just listen willingly.

Kid A is my favorite album. Though In Rainbows is a close second!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. So glad you're here. You've been through a lot.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Congratulations on your week sober!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My atheist AA friend calls God "G.O.D. -- Group of Drunks"
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, kidA! Glad you are picking yourself up and trying again. Congratulations on 7 days and hope to see more from you in the days ahead!