Notices

Going to a bar for a concert

Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to a bar for a concert

I am 5 months sober. I have been around alcohol a couple of times, most recently on a cruise with the family. My sponsor has invited me to a concert at a bar in about a month. I haven't been to a bar since before I quit. I know that we can't completely escape alcohol and need to slowly start to be around it. What are your thoughts on going to a bar at 5 months sober?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My thought would be that only you can decide if you are ready to go. I'm guessing that if you are asking you have reservations?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
I am 5 months sober. I have been around alcohol a couple of times, most recently on a cruise with the family. My sponsor has invited me to a concert at a bar in about a month. I haven't been to a bar since before I quit. I know that we can't completely escape alcohol and need to slowly start to be around it. What are your thoughts on going to a bar at 5 months sober?
I believe, in general, if we have a legitimate reason for being some where alcohol is, it is okay to go there - often times I would take someone from the program just to be sure. You'll be okay. You can always leave before the end of it if you have to and might want to make sure your sponsor understands your need to have an "escape" should you want one. Just a suggestion. And you'll be with your sponsor.

There is no bottle in the sky waiting to fall over and get us drunk. Always remember - if you don't drink, you can't get drunk......
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Only you know how confident you feel with regards to your sobriety and being around alcohol. If you are questioning if its a good idea to go then maybe you dont feel ready. There is plenty of time to get used to being in social situations where there is alcohol when you feel secure with your sobriety. If you do decide to go and feel concerned you can always leave.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My reservation to going is that there is a ton of alcohol in a bar and people will be drunk and stupid around me.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just went through this and posted about it - I was unable to make it work. Mine was a club scene and not a bar but I now realize I am a different person and cannot do the same things I used too and stay sober and more importantly enjoy them. Just different now.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had practice with saying no to alcohol but this will be my first time in a bar. I think I just need to think about it some more. I will be with my sponsor and will drive separately but I still have reservations.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When I finally went to see a band in a setting with alcohol, I knew I could handle it.

It took 2 1/2 years.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
My reservation to going is that there is a ton of alcohol in a bar and people will be drunk and stupid around me.
Well, you are most likely right about the clientele you will see. Do you think that will be a problem that threatens your sobriety? That should give you your answer. If you don't think it will be too much of a temptation, you will have your sponsor. Have a backup plan if you do go, and keep in mind no one is infallible...your sponsor is an alcoholic too . So have a backup to the backup...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just read your post jdooner.
Thanks Carl, I think when I know I can handle it I won't have reservations.
Scott, I think I will be too bothered by the other bar goers to even enjoy myself.
I appreciate everything you all said. Sobriety is my number one priority right now and there will be other concerts. Why risk it when I'm not 100% ready?