Notices

Days when you don't think about alcohol

Old 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Days when you don't think about alcohol

How long does it take in sobriety for there to be days when you happily go about your business and don't think about alcohol at all?

Or does that ever happen?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't remember the last time for me, Imabuleva

How long have you been sober now?

D
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, it happens Ima. I can't remember how long it took for me - but one day my obsessive thoughts about drinking/not drinking were gone. It rarely crosses my mind now - never thought I'd get to that point. It's early days yet for you - everything's going to get better and easier.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The signature says it all.

On day 2. Daydreaming about that being year number 2.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

oh ok...apologies...I see a lot of sigs and you guys do dates funny

It took me at least 3 months to start to think past just not drinking., and probably a little longer than that to realise I hadn't thought about drinking at all that day.

I'd drunk for years - drink was a huge part of my life...it was never going to be done and dusted in a week.

Have faith tho ima - if you get sober and stay that way, things will get better

have you thought about a new plan?
D
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm young (only 26) and have a good job and a good education. But I've been drinking heavily and daily since I was 22 maybe 21. The thing is, the fun has started to go away.

It used to be, I would get drunk and play video games, and because I'm an alcoholic I would get better as I drank until I hit a wall and passed out. Most normal drinkers feel a kick for the first one or two drinks and its downhill from there. For me, it was a plateau until some arbitrary large number of drinks and then BAM. Passed out on the keyboard.

Now it's take a few shots to feel an effect and then realize I'm too dumb to play. I would imagine I've been destroying my body to the extent that my alcoholism has come to the moderate stage (and I'm only 26!). What threw me over the top is I got so drunk on the 19th that I was texting old acquaintances I went to college with (especially girls) telling them how I would come visit them out of state and such. And then the next morning I woke up with the shakes and thought I was going to go into convulsions or something for about an hour my heart was racing so bad.

And here I am. No drinks since then. Or ever again (hopefully).
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh sorry, Dee. I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm just straight forward. Especially with text.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't take it badly - I was just funning with you Ima

D
Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My plan is to schedule a full checkup doctor's appointment, be honest about how much I've drank and for how long so they can do the appropriate tests, and start working out (CrossFit) as soon as I can. Also, I'm going to get back into the science and technology I've neglected for the drink since finishing college.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know you are on your 2nd day so hearing the answer may initial sound like a long time. For me it was pretty much exactly 4 months. That I virtually couldn't care less about drinking. Had a stressful day yesterday and the thought to drink to comfort me never crossed my mind, I only realized that as I layed down to sleep and reflect in my day

Be easy on yourself these first few days, try not to worry about when you WON'T worry about drinking. Because you will get there when the work is done.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And of course come to SR daily.

Especially if I have cravings.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im around alcohol all the time so its a bit difficult for me not to think about it. Im on 6 days sober and I been refusing drinks every other minute. My family keeps thinking that I got drunk the night before thats why im refusing to drink lol. Im also 27....
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I avoided work yesterday and have been avoiding family since yesterday. Gonna go back to work Monday, but that's a good thing. I was so hungover and shaky yesterday that I didn't want to see anyone especially coworkers.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

...around the five month mark I think.

I do still think of it (and get dreams) off and on (like today w/some stress), but it's nothing like the ruminations of the early days.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm a little over seven months now and I don't think of it unless something very, very specific will remind me...like being in an old watering hole. That said, I also have changed my lifestyle quite a bit so I am rarely around old watering holes or in situations that would trigger me. The home part was the hardest because by the end my kitchen table was my own bar but I just don't spend a ton of time at home anymore.

I agree with ImperfectlyMe...it was somewhere around 3-4 months when it lifted but everyone is different. For me, this past week in DC with the shootings actually showed me my progress right up front and personal. I thought I hadn't been making any progress (which, forgive these goofy verbal gymnastics for a moment) but I really was because I hadn't thought about making it...which was progress. Then that tragedy happened and hours later I realized I hadn't thought of a drink at one time throughout the day. I saw others going to the bar and I just didn't even associate it with myself or something I would do. It seemed foreign.

Only later was I like, "Holy sh*t, I would have been in that bar/restaurant at lunchtime downing the wine seven months ago to take away the stress and worry..."

So, hang in there. Day 2 is hard but the more time you throw at it, the easier it gets. And one day you won't even be thinking about it.

Never would have believed it on Day 2 but it does indeed happen.

Stay strong and best wishes to you tonight!!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think it was around six months sober that I realized I didn't think about drinking anymore. It was a great relief too. Now at almost four years, the only time I think of drinking is to remind myself I'm glad I don't drink anymore.