Notices

options upon leaving detox

Old 09-21-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

options upon leaving detox

I am currently in detox ..i can technically stay as long as i want or leave as soon as i want so i just wanted some advice. I did the suboxone detox protocol over the course of 4 days i took 2mg's this morning and it was my last dose. my plan was to head to a halfway house in my hometown monday or goto a 12 step shelter down in new bedford ma. thoughin the back of my mind i am thinking ask for more time here to make sure i dont experience any witdrawel after i leave.....

just looking for suggestions because my best thinking always gets me back to detox

the place i am is a veterans hospital psych/detox ward and i can stay as long as i'd like, but i am feeling restless and want to goto the first place available just to get out of here...am i setting myself up for failure?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am not familiar with your situation but want to welcome you to SR! I'm sure someone will come along with some information to help you.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
When you say detox, is it just a physical detox program or is there a rehab component too? A lot of people transfer. From detox to rehab in order to start developing the skills to make it in a sober world. Detox is just the beginning. I can't speak for anyone else, but rehab saved my life.

I currently have several friends who went into a recovery house after rehab. They are doing well. Some people need the structure such as curfews, drug testing, and daily support of other people in early recovery. But recovery houses still allow you to live your life, get/keep a job, have free time, etc.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh no this is just physical detox....there are on average 6 week wait times for the rehabs that are available to me thats why i started looking into the halfway houses and shelters....
Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok. Well the difference between halfway houses and recovery houses are that halfway houses are geared to drugs and alcohol. You'll mostly meet people who are recently out of prison for various crimes, and not necessarily drug related offenses. If you need that support for your addiction, look into recovery houses. I live in a major US city and my friends are only paying like $125 a month.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

is there a website that has listings of recovery houses?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't do the recovery house thing so I'm not sure. I'm hanging out with a friend in a recovery house later today so I will ask him.

For now, I would just do some google searches and call your local AA and/or NA hotlines. I'm sure someone there would know about the options in your area.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for your help
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

restless, cant sit with yourself, feel like running, .... we addicts just cant seem to sit and be at all and feel uncomfortable my biggest challenge in sobriety was to just sit, be still and feel....
you will do whats right for you I hope, but eventually you have to be with yourself in the quiet moments when nothing happening.
17 weeks in, its getting easier
welcome to SR
Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

what do you do when in those quiet moments alone the thoughts are all "you're a piece of ****, you're worthless, you robbed that guy, you said _____ to him wtf, you dont deserve to live" etc ad infinite
Old 09-21-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You look to the cross.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I had NA and AA meetings as part of my detox program, and went to 90 meetings in 90 days when I got home. Meetings can be helpful before, during, and after rehab.

People in AA and NA can give you first hand knowledge of local recovery programs--calling is a great first step.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

this site is great. there is a message board for everybody these days. when drugs were what i wanted i went to bluelight.nu and everything i wanted to know was right theere now that i want recovery i'm so glad this is here.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rehab, sober living house, halfway house, outpatient counseling, AA, Rational Recovery, Smart Recovery, AVRT, tons of options... If there is a counselor available, discuss all this. In my opinion best overall odds for a long-term addict\drunk\whatever that couldn't sober up in their home environment are structured living at some rehab-type facility for as long as reasonably possible, then a voluntary program afterwards.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I talked to my friend and he said to ask around at NA/AA meetings (whatever fellowship you align yourself with) about recovery houses, call the hotlines, and check out Oxford House

You can look up houses in your area (there are a few in Lowell) and the site lists vacancies.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ask for more time here to make sure i dont experience any witdrawel after i leave.

"what do you do when in those quiet moments alone the thoughts are all "you're a piece of ****, you're worthless, you robbed that guy, you said _____ to him wtf, you dont deserve to live" etc ad infinite."

heres what I did:
I was in AA and shared how I felt (a useless,worthless, hopeless, helpless POS) at meetings. after hearin it enough times, the man who turned into my 1st sponsor( I think) got tired of hearin it and said, "quit kikin yerself in the arse. yer not a bad man. yer a sick man and theres a solution." so I started workin the solution, which was the program of AA.
today I have use,worth,hope, and can help others. I can look myself and the world n the eyes. I no longer hate myself.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

googling 'recovery houses lowell ma' will get you a few results interim

D
Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thanks to everyone for your ideas, and general messages of hope.