Notices

Thought of a night out petrifies me!!

Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought of a night out petrifies me!!

Hi all,

I am now 9 days sober & feeling rather proud!

The problem I now have is I do not know how I will cope with a night out?! My friends keep asking me to go for a night out soon but the thought petrifies me! I don't think I can enjoy a night out or am strong enough yet to be in that environment. I know it is ridiculous but not even sure if I am confident enough to go out & not drink.

How has everyone else coped? Also this is then when I have to start explaining myself as to why I am not drinking when everyone knows how much I loved wine!!!

I am scared I will end up not being able to be sociable sober?!

X
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

One thing sobriety has taught me is not to worry over stuff that hasn't happend yet .
Keep on getting through those important first days , keep staying away from those people who want you to go out to drinking establishments .

I passed the two years sober mark earlier this month and all of my colleauges went to the pub yesterday afternoon , except me , i just did'nt want to be in that envroment , i got home early had a nice relaxing shower and started my weekend early I could go to bars but i prefer life without it , they are just dull ...

Day 9

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I waited a while - a good long while - until I went out again where I knew alcohol would be.

I need ed to work on myself a little, make some changes and be absolutely committed to staying sober.

That took a while, but I figured the nights out would still be there when I was ready, and they were

Nine days is great but it's really early - I think it's normal and healthy to recognize that a night out with your mates is probably beyond your sober capabilities right now

D
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have gone.I know if I'd gone out with friends who weredrinking to drinking places then Iwould have drunk. Suggest youmeetfor lunch or coffee with your friends.True friends willunderstand,if they don't they're justdrinking buddies

Since getting sober I'vechanged and don't want to be around drunk people anyway
Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did it last weekend after 3 weeks. I wasn't ready..and it wasn't worth it.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had relapses in which going out too early may have been part of it.
Last night (day 20) I went to a nice hotel restaurant for dinner and had water with my food while my colleagues had a serving of wine and beer. So situation was just semi-dangerous as it was a dinner and not a lets go out and party situation. Depends on how stable you feel. Do you think you can remain sober among drinking friends and still enjoy yourself then why not go out? But if you worry you may end up drinking when not really wanting to perhaps you should pass and perhaps meet for coffee or similar another day.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your advice, I have declined & explained that I am no longer drinking.

My friends completely understand & have been great, it is me I am annoyed with that I should be able to enjoy an evening out & not want to drink but I know that temptation is too much & right now staying sober is far more important.

I am going to focus on days out with my family instead, thank you again for support x
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on making choices that support your commitment to not drink.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good decision-you won'tregret it