Notices

This time it has to work

Old 09-20-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This time it has to work

Hi (again),
I won't lie and say that this is the first time I'm on the wagon, I have tried many times before, but last night I had something of a break down/ break through.
I got hopelessly drunk, and typically did all sorts of horrible and embarassing things, however I did finally admit to my partner that I am an alcoholic and can't take it any more. I have never ever admitted it to anyone I know as this would mean they would no longer allow me to drink. After admitting it to my partner I have this morning told all my friends (not that I have many thanks to my alcoholism). While I understand that you can't stop drinking just because of other people, it has to be for yourself, but I have wanted to be sober for so long, now having a support system not just online but in my real life feels amazing.
This site has always been extremely helpful and I will keep it as my home page this time, thanks for all the support and help in advance!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome

So glad you came clean to people - it's probably a relief to you to have it out there. Hopefully they will be a good source of strength to you.

All the best.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi haribo - welcome back
I have never ever admitted it to anyone I know as this would mean they would no longer allow me to drink.
Got to admit this worries me a little.

I found I couldn't count on my friends to keep me sober - they either relented right away cos they didn't want to be my sobriety police, or I resented them for not letting me drink, got angry and then they relented.

You're right it needs to be internal - so whats your plan?

D
Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You know Dee is right. I kept believing I could stop drinking for my husband and children, but I ended up with so much resentment it was awful. In the end, I did it for myself.

Please continue to read and post.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi haribo - welcome back

Got to admit this worries me a little.

I found I couldn't count on my friends to keep me sober - they either relented right away cos they didn't want to be my sobriety police, or I resented them for not letting me drink, got angry and then they relented.

You're right it needs to be internal - so whats your plan?

D
Dee, I'm going to go out on a limb here but you may have read that wrong. I might be wrong too.

I only say this because I identify with it if I'm right. What haribo is saying is that we kept our secret to ourselves because the more people that knew the more accountable we were. If we kept our mouths shut then no one would say anything if they saw us drinking. Even though we now realize that we must do this for ourselves and not for anyone else letting people know helps to hold us accountable.

At least that's the way it was for me this time. I kept it as quiet as I could in prior attempts. That way, if I failed no one was the wiser. This time I was ready and committed. I didn't shout it from the rooftops but I told my husband, my daughter, my drinking buds, and those closest to me in my family. For me that meant it was "out there". That was a huge help to me even though this time it's for me.

habiro, am I incorrect here? I think I understand what you're saying to be what I stated.

One last edit: I went back and read and I could also be wrong but what threw me is that habiro is stating that it's understood that it must be done for ourselves.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome!

You know Dee is right. I kept believing I could stop drinking for my husband and children, but I ended up with so much resentment it was awful. In the end, I did it for myself.

Please continue to read and post.
Totally and completely identify with this too. In a prior attempt sat in the living room being a passive aggressive pain the a** to my husband because I couldn't drink. It didn't end well and I drank again because I got my way. This MUST be for yourself and for no one else.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Glad you're back habiro
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

just sharing my experience LB - if I've misinterpreted it may be useful to others if not the OP

D
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job and God bless
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
just sharing my experience LB - if I've misinterpreted it may be useful to others if not the OP

D
Understood and completely appreciated!

I also could have misinterpreted too.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

just to clarify

Sorry if my post wasn't clear before! Don't worry, my motivation for quitting is purely for me, nobody else. I completely agree that only when we quit for ourselves and not for other people, will it really work at all.
Around 3 years ago I was with a boyfriend who couldn't take my drinking (he was a teetotaller himself) and so to stop him from breaking up with me I stopped drinking, which didn't work one bit, it simply meant that any time he would go away on business or when I had the day off, I would hit the bottle often even harder than before, simply because I could get away with it. The bottom line was I wasn't stopping drinking because I wanted to, but because he wanted me to.
What I meant in my original post was that this time by telling people, my drinking problem becomes a fact. before, I never told anybody, because I thought that when (not 'if', but 'when', sadly enough) I fall off the wagon again that there would be no backlash. By not telling anybody, it always kept that window open to drink again.
This time, I'm quitting because I hate alcohol, period.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by haribo158 View Post
Sorry if my post wasn't clear before! Don't worry, my motivation for quitting is purely for me, nobody else. I completely agree that only when we quit for ourselves and not for other people, will it really work at all.
Around 3 years ago I was with a boyfriend who couldn't take my drinking (he was a teetotaller himself) and so to stop him from breaking up with me I stopped drinking, which didn't work one bit, it simply meant that any time he would go away on business or when I had the day off, I would hit the bottle often even harder than before, simply because I could get away with it. The bottom line was I wasn't stopping drinking because I wanted to, but because he wanted me to.
What I meant in my original post was that this time by telling people, my drinking problem becomes a fact. before, I never told anybody, because I thought that when (not 'if', but 'when', sadly enough) I fall off the wagon again that there would be no backlash. By not telling anybody, it always kept that window open to drink again.
You're there!

Your post is music to my ears, it's the exact place that I was in the day that I came to the conclusion that I was done with it. By doing it for me and by finally telling those that needed to know, I removed my capability to resent them and to use that as an excuse to drink. By this I mean when the AV came calling days after the decision was made it was so very easy to think "I can drink, it's not up to THEM to decide for me." By doing it for me I removed the resentment and it was replaced with will and determination. By telling the people who needed to know, and to keep my sobriety safe, I made my choice a "fact" and not just a fleeting decision that nobody knew about so that I could retract it at any time.

It sounds like you're in that same place which is so great!

I'm so happy for you haribo!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Think this post will help newcomers
Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rebumped yhread
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Dee, I'm going to go out on a limb here but you may have read that wrong. I might be wrong too.

I only say this because I identify with it if I'm right. What haribo is saying is that we kept our secret to ourselves because the more people that knew the more accountable we were. If we kept our mouths shut then no one would say anything if they saw us drinking. Even though we now realize that we must do this for ourselves and not for anyone else letting people know helps to hold us accountable.

That was me, too. As long as I didn't admit it I could continue on without addressing the issue. It was scary to "come out" and announce that I couldn't manage my drinking; it meant my decision was permanent and there was no going back. That would have been like trying to put the toothpaste pack in the tube.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haribo158 View Post
Hi Haribo.

I read it this way, and I must say, it sounds awful familiar to my own first (and second...) 'sobering experience'. The second time though, I didn't just tell my wife. I have told (select, but many) friends and family. I'm quitting for me, but they all now 'know the score' with me, and at least with my friends, they are all universally supportive (many were shocked, but got over it quickly).

I think that getting it out there, building a support group of people who care about you/that you care about is tremendously helpful. It has been for me.

Good luck, and welcome.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey guys, this thread is from Sept 2013. I hope Haribo is doing well!!