Notices

New to this and looking for answers if anyone is willing!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this and looking for answers if anyone is willing!

Hi everyone or for anyone who reads this,

I am new to this website and about to start my journey to becoming sober.
I have been an addict (percocet is the drug of choice) for about 3 years now. I had quit for a while when I first started using. I didn't become seriously addicted until about a year ago when my ex boyfriend who was very abusive tried killing me. At that point I gave up on myself. I have been hiding this addiction from everyone I know except the people I would buy them from. I am currently in an amazing relationship with a man I have cared about for years. We are only 3 months in and he used to battle addiction but has been clean for years now. I have been hating myself for hiding this secret from him. Today was the day I finally told him. Sadly I did it via text but we have been fighting lately due to my attitudes which had to do with me not being able to afford drugs.

I am so grateful he said he will stand by my side. The problem is, he did it cold turkey and I am terrified that I can't handle that. My job requires me to talk to customers sometimes and if I am ill then it's hard to hide. I work 40 hours a week 5 days a week. My job is very physical. I am currently trying to find a doctor in hopes I can get on suboxine but I have never tried them, has anyone tried them who suffered a percocet addiction? I average 30-40mg a day. My tolerance is very slow still, not sure how since I take them everyday but I break a 5mg in half every time so I take half at a time.
My boyfriend has taken my debit card so I can not take any money out. I took my very last half about a half hour ago.

I am freaking out and not sure if I can handle this. Does anyone have any tips? Has anyone done this cold turkey and if what was the hardest day and when did it start getting better? Any help is very appreciated!
Sorry for the long post
Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

The best thing for you to do is to talk to your dr and come up with a plan to get off the drugs. I'm glad your boyfriend is supportive. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi staystrong

I have no experience with percs - I think tho, if withdrawal scares you, like Anna suggests you'll be far better off with professional medical supervision and advice

D
Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I don't have any experience with drug abuse so I can't offer any advice. I can relate it to alcohol abuse though. I felt going cold turkey was the only way I could truly solve my problem. Yes it's hard at the start and yes I did want to drink the next day. However with the support of family friends and sr I got through that and am able to deal with the cravings alot easier.

As your partner is experienced in going cold turkey he is the best person to support and help you.

I, nor anybody else should tell you what to do, as its your choice. I can just give my advice that cold turkey is going to be your quickest solution, even if it is harder at the start.

P
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And seek medical advice! I forgot to put that in there. Especially if going cold turkey!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welome! Today is my first day here and everyone has been great.

I have kicked 2 chemical drug addictions and I understand how hard it is. Both of which are considered the highest rate of addiction today. I did both cold turkey (support groups as support) on both because there was a great opportunity in one instance. And 1 was facing certain death that made me open my eyes. I have an addictive personality.

I found that trading addiction for addiction did the trick for me. I took up new hobbies (with all my gusto) to focus on....be addicted to. Wrote a lot of poems, wittled sticks that I used to make art pieces, aromatherapy, etc. Find your motivator and keep busy. That worked for me.

On the flip side, great your other half could quit cold turkey, but I think it unfair for you or him to expect that you to do the same. I don't know how severe the physical withdrawls, but if that is your initial fear maybe having some help (including counseling to help you cope and become chemical free) will help ease the fear. Long term I would guess is a concern. How am I going to cope when.....?

Hang in there. The light at the end of the tunnel is not a train..it really is the sun. Chemical addiction is tough but the good part is there are drugs to help if feel you need the help. The only end result that matters is you kick this.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too suggest talking to your doctor about safely getting off the pills.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I have went cold turkey so far and it is so painful! all my bones are cracking. Even taking a shower was a huge task. I truly hope to kick this and once I do I will never go back because this is all too much to handle