Notices

4 days and i want a drink

Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 days and i want a drink

I know I have to do this for me. I am because I want to save my relationship. I want a drink right now and I also really don't. Never faced anything so difficult. Looking for any advice.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, and welcome! Lots of help and support here. Keep posting and reading...you can do this. I'm on my 4th day also!!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay here if you can. Instead of wasting your time tipping the glass, read through the threads and post comments. If you start focusing on other people's issues, you may feel better.

If that's not working, think it through. Picture the sickness, the guilt, and everything you're going to feel after you get drunk. Be with that person - that future drunk person - and look her up and down.

Coming here was a great decision. You really don't want to take that drink. You just want the cravings to go away.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

. . . and just make a commitment today to stay sober for the next 24 hours.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted here, as I mentioned in another thread it may be helpful for you to share your story. As you mentioned, we are at a similar place right now and could really support one another. As well you will find much support from others if you keep sharing.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One day at a time, Bridgee. And, if necessary, one hour at a time. You can DO this! Stay strong.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bridgee, I'm on Day 4 today, too. I suggest: let's make a pledge to each other that no matter what, we are not going to drink today. You hold me accountable, and I'll hold you accountable. Is that a deal? Day 4 can be a real bugaboo, but let's get through it together.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. I just hung my clothing back in the closet. It was all in my truck from the episode this past wknd where I was hateful to my boyfriend and then got angry in the morning because he slept in spare bedroom. I almost left and I'm not sure he really wants me to b in his life anymore. He wants me to get help and will go to counseling as well. Not sure how much I can ask of him..he likes a few drinks at times and doesn't have the problem. It's additionally hard because his job keeps him away from home for extended periods. I really want his support and he's not sure he can provide enough. If we split it will most definitely send me spiraling.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok..let's try
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It gets easier after the first week. Hang in there and don't worry about what you did or said, or trying to fix things right now, just focus on being sober and the clarity will come.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear boo, welcome. Great job on 4 days. I suggest urge surfing. This is a method for riding out the anxiety and cravings. It helped me so much. Glad you are here. Stick around.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go to an AA meeting.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Bridgeeboo. I'm at the same stage as you and it's hard isn't it? I'm starting to feel nostalgic about drinking and really having to concentrate on how out of control my life was getting and the effect it was having on my family.
Just a bit wont hurt my stupid AV is saying. Some one posted about us guys not having an off switch once we start drinking, just a dimmer switch. So true. You said that you do want a drink but also you don't. You know which voice to listen to. Be strong xxx
Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here bridgeeboo2006

Have you joined the Class of September thread yet? its a support thread for everyone quitting, or trying to quit, this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-5-a-6.html

welcome to SR

D
Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bridgeeboo. Proud of you for joining here and reaching out. Yes it is hard - but you can do this. You are never alone - there's always someone here 24/7.

I had the same situation as you - my husband can drink 'a few' & not crave more like I do. I have no off switch as they say. One drink always became 10. Like most of us, you've probably tried to control what you drank so you wouldn't have to stop all together. I wasted so many years trying to do that & it never worked. In the end, it was much easier to just stop. It was exhausting and pointless to try moderation. I'm glad you are realizing that.

(I know your town - we moved here from Ocean City not long ago. It was very hard to be in that area & not be tempted - but I did it and you can too.)
Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As Dee suggested, come join us in the September class. It's a lively and supportive group.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Try replacing one craving with another (for me it has been a walk around the block and trashy sweets - like the gas station kind of stuff). It worked miracles

Best of luck and try taking in increments that work for you. 1 hour at a time, 1 day at a time. Make it realistic to achieve, then up the stakes and set goals a little bit longer.

Sending good vibes and energy
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I'm 4 days clean too. Like everyone else I am struggling.

Without a doubt if it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't have made it this long.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When you are craving think of the acronym H.A.L.T.
It stands for hungry, angry, lonely or tired.

Of you are any of those things, change it.

For a long time, hunger made me want to drink. I literally couldn't identify hunger.

If you are still craving after that, exercise, or go do something else to distract yourself.

Meetings are one choice, but they don't serve booze in movie theaters, churches or bookstores either.

Hang in there. Don't worry about the future.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
I'm 4 days clean too. Like everyone else I am struggling.

Without a doubt if it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't have made it this long.
Sr is a great tool. You also have to find tools to help you when you are not able to get on. I used to use the thought of coming on sr tell everyone I had done another day as my motive through out my day!