Notices

Day 3, going to event today and how do i say no...

Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3, going to event today and how do i say no...

I have been looking forward a long time to go to a big event today, where i get free champagne food etc.. It is in a couple hours and Im so nervous, I want to gp there to prove myself i can say no to drinks.. But not sure I will!!! How do i stay strong!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Most people find it better to avoid tempting situations in early sobriety. The best way to say no is simply to say, "no, thanks." To stay strong, you can do some prep work such as writing out why you want to stay sober, the costs of drinking, and the benefits of staying sober. This freshens and clarifies these things in your mind. However, I have had very mixed results in tempting situations during early sobriety.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

its difficult during early days to go to the events SS, for me, I have to decide BEFORE I go, that I absolutely WILL NOT drink, if I am offered, say No, firmly please can I have (whatever af drink you like). You will always get that pang, that person that pushes for you to have a drink, but you have to be determined, if you feel you really want to go then make the decision before and take us in your pocket on your phone xx
Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Sophia.

Congrats on 3 days!

I agree with the previous post that it's better to avoid such situations in very early sobriety - body's still adjusting, emotions all over the place, logic and willpower seem to still lag behind, etc.

Anyway, if this event is really important to you and you would enjoy it - focus on event itself. I used to be crazy about champagne - but it's still just poison in disguise. It is not restriction - it's your FREEDOM. Freedom to concentrate on what's going on, talking to people and listening rather than thinking about next drink. Freedom to remember every moment and keep great memories rather than shameful blackouts. Freedom to wake up next day hangover-free and start planning next event.

As for others - I usually say "I feel much better without wine now". End of story. If someone finds it weird - none of your business.

Stay strong and enjoy your event)
Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also agree it is best to avoid temptation so early on. On day 3 you havenothing to prove,you just need to not drink today and the best way to dothat is avoid temptation.

Ask yourself why doyou want to go? didyou arrange to go whenyou were drinking? Do you really think you can go and not drink

I would have gone nowhere near a free booze event on day 3
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i noticed that the first thing you wrote was "free champagne"......warning bells are going off here.
what is most important? I think you are setting yourself up to drink at this early period.
then you are going to feel worse after you do.
personally i would relive my last drunk thoroughly in my head and remember what i decided to do.
i would avoid this event until next time .
Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have fun watching others get drunk and act stupid. Then you can say "I'm glad I didn't drink".
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Think about why this is day 3 of no drinking. Think about the decision you made a few days ago to start on day one. Remember how hard that was, making it to the point where quitting was the decision you made. And don't forget the pain, suffering and humiliation that you experienced in your last days.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey sophia

I could not have done what your contemplating doing, so I have no advice really.

I really wanted to be sober so that came before everything else - I figured there'd be other events in the future - when I was stronger - and I was right.

Ask yourself - whats more important - this event or your recovery?

D
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh dear "free champagne"" it comes wrapt in a bow, selling a lie....

I couldn't have gone to an alcohol event 3 days in.... It would have been like torture, there I would have been failing again

good luck