Notices

What happens when you go to the ER for detox symptoms

Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

What happens when you go to the ER for detox symptoms

In my drinking days, I never knew the ER was an option for alcohol detox.

Thought it might help those struggling with their withdrawal symptoms if they knew what typically transpires from those that have been there and done that.

Be well.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I work in the ER. We have people coming in all the time seeking help either with withdrawal symptoms or detox. If they come in intoxicated we generally monitor them and let them sleep it off. If they come in with withdrawal symptoms we usually get an order for phenobarbital to prevent seizures and Ativan to take the edge off. We always start an IV line and get blood work done. We always run fluids in because they are most likely dehydrated and that makes withdrawal symptoms worse. We get a social worker invoked to help point them in the right direction. Whether to an inpatient treatment facility or just a list of meetings and places to call for continued support. I wish I could take my own advice that I give out. I'm starting again today. Day one. No drinking tonight. I feel like a hypocrite sometimes at work, I also work in a detox/rehab facility. No one on work with knows or would suspect it. I feel so ashamed sometimes.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well for me the symptoms weren't that bad at all; I just wanted to finally come out of the "dark" so to say .. But they check vitals ran test Hooked me up to a hydration bag IV .. Gave me something for my Anxiety & my back pain; an pretty much just let me lay and rest .. Counselors came in to talk give me info for help .
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indenial618 View Post
I work in the ER. We have people coming in all the time seeking help either with withdrawal symptoms or detox. If they come in intoxicated we generally monitor them and let them sleep it off. If they come in with withdrawal symptoms we usually get an order for phenobarbital to prevent seizures and Ativan to take the edge off. We always start an IV line and get blood work done. We always run fluids in because they are most likely dehydrated and that makes withdrawal symptoms worse. We get a social worker invoked to help point them in the right direction. Whether to an inpatient treatment facility or just a list of meetings and places to call for continued support. I wish I could take my own advice that I give out. I'm starting again today. Day one. No drinking tonight. I feel like a hypocrite sometimes at work, I also work in a detox/rehab facility. No one on work with knows or would suspect it. I feel so ashamed sometimes.
That must be hard .. I commend you for stepping up & trying again .. Wish you luck ...

AW
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indenial618 View Post
I work in the ER. We have people coming in all the time seeking help either with withdrawal symptoms or detox. If they come in intoxicated we generally monitor them and let them sleep it off. If they come in with withdrawal symptoms we usually get an order for phenobarbital to prevent seizures and Ativan to take the edge off. We always start an IV line and get blood work done. We always run fluids in because they are most likely dehydrated and that makes withdrawal symptoms worse. We get a social worker invoked to help point them in the right direction. Whether to an inpatient treatment facility or just a list of meetings and places to call for continued support.
This is pretty much what happened with me. I was there for two weeks. I was very, very sick. The doctor who took me in was the one who helped me realize how very sick I was. He was the one who talked me into going to rehab. He was the one who got the rehab to take me when they didn't want to because I was so sick.
He saved my life.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Indenial! I also work in a hospital. I understand where yiu are coming from. I see alcoholics all the time. You would think that would scare me enough to make me stop drinking.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My symptoms weren't all that bad either, but going to the hospital seemed the only alternative to continuing to drink. They took my vitals, did a blood test, gave me IV fluids, and sent in a counselor. I was able to check straight into a detox program, where I stayed for a week.

I found everyone to be kind and helpful. It must be a pleasure to deal with someone seeking help rather than someone lost in the trauma of addiction-induced disaster.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was having a severe panic attack during my last withdrawl. They did blood tests and gave me an IV. I came totally clean about my drinking (to them and myself) and it was that day that I decided to stop for good. They presrcibed some anti-anxiety meds that I only needed to take for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

One time I was admitted for a few hours (well that was the only time..hospital wise), they did bloodwork, gave me some IV fluids and some anti-seizure meds. Kept me there til my BAC lowered a bit (a few hours) and sent me on my way with a Rx for a couple of days of the anti-seizure meds.