Notices

Ibs

Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ibs

Has anyone with IBS had it improve after quitting alcohol? I've had a mild case of it for a couple years and it seems like since I quit four weeks ago my IBS is getting a bit worse, but maybe that's just my body adjusting and healing. Thanks for any input guys!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went from constant diarrhea to constipation after drinking. Changed my diet and now have regular bowel movements.

P.S. Gross subject!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit three weeks ago and had 'the runs' at the time. I was getting a bit alarmed as they had not eased up much since I quit and I was beginning to worry that there might be some internal damage to be honest. (I was a long term drinker). I am pleased to say things are returning to normal now. I guess it takes a while..if you have been drinking a while!

P.S. Yep - gross but kinda important I guess.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, kinda gross but we can handle it. Just no pictures please! (I frequent a forum that discusses parasites and health, sometimes people post pictures asking for advice like "What is this?" Not for the weak of stomach!)

I probably do need to clean up my diet a bit and eat more veggies, cut down the fat a bit, etc. That and be more patient, but it's hard to be patient when you feel like crud. I gotta keep remembering a saying that I got in a fortune cookie (I really did) - "Nature, time and patience are the three great physicians."
Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not going to say I have IBS, but I have an awful lot of the symptoms of IBS. I find that cutting down fat and slowly edging up to reasonably high fiber helps.

It can take months for your digestive track to adjust to new environments and inputs, so, yeah, be patient, forgo the cheese when possible, and make slow, incremental improvements to your diet.

Maybe later, when your system has settled, think about an elimination diet? I discovered that I can handle all the beans I want, but not lentils. All the quinoa I want, but not oats or barley, all the pork/bacon I want, but not beef, etc. (I eat beef and barley and lentils anyway, just not in abundance.)

I'm not sure how much it helps, but I did start taking a good probiotic a few months ago. Evidence of the efficacy is mixed, but it's worth a try.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a change in diet and some patience will help. Thanks for the advice guys. (I'm going to the fridge to throw the cheese away.)
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not drinking or smoking helped, but I had pretty atrocious eating habits too. Wrong foods and I'd miss meals and then gorge...I ended up having to see a dietitian.

A new fridge helped too

I have had no trouble for years now.

D