Notices

Just realized for the thousand time I have no off switch

Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just realized for the thousand time I have no off switch

Hello all.
I don't mean to bardge in... I just flucked up another 10 days by thinking I could have 4 beers that were in the fridge and then I found some wine in the cupboard. There wasn't near as much in the house that I would have wished for, but I am disappointed in myself. I thought I was doing so well, but once again I realize I don't have an off switch. I am 44 and have had a problem with liquor since I was 12 years old. I need to be accountable to someone and hope that by posting on this forum I will. I have been lurking for quite awhile thinking that is enough, but obviously it isn't.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will start again tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

suzy, the site is not everything you need, but it does help. sorry about your slip, tomorrow is a new day. regarding your "off switch", you actually need to take the outlet off the wall. hey, you turned around quick and you know you don't want that life, good for you..most of us go out for one beer and don't come back for 9 months. ugh...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your road to recovery!

SR has been my salvation! I have been sober for 54 days but nearly relapsed at 38 days. Thanks to the support of SR, I got through my "tough time" without relapsing.

Whenever you feel the urge to drink, please post BEFORE you take that first drink. You will get tips and encouragement and all the support in the world here!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy, glad you posted on SR. I lurked for quite a while before I started posting too. Welcome
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Suzy if you are an alcoholic, you dont have an off switch. That's how we roll. You were smart to come on here and talk about it! Use sr, phone a friend, head to a meeting, whatever you need to do to get/stay sober again. I had to throw a lot of s#>+ to the wall and see what stuck. will have seven months this week and its sooo unlike me to plan that far ahead and expect to be sober.

You can do this!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. That was absolutely what I needed. I have lived most of my life thinking that the only council I need is my own. Since it has taken this many years to actually put myself out I guess I should feel like I have made a baby step in respect to joining this forum. I plan to kick myself in the butt to try and post everyday. Also, obviously keeping my own council is not helping me.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am definitely an alcoholic. I don't ever know when to stop. So the only answer for me is to just stop. I knew it when I grabbed the beer out of the fridge. Luckily there wasn't enough there for me to have the usual blackout/shame cycle. I guess I was lucky THIS time.
I have brushed my teeth, gotten a giant glass of ice water, and am going to bed to wake up tomorrow for my fresh start.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the support. It is greatly appreciated. I hope that on day in the future I can do the same for someone else.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
OX

Have a great day one
Old 09-17-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy! You have made a great decision by joining this site. I lurked for about a year before I joined my first week of sobriety on a Friday night when I really wanted a drink. It helped me stay sober over my first weekend. Before coming here, I never made it through the weekend when I tried to quit. The great support of everyone here kept me posting and sharing for hours when I needed it most.

Since then, I have started sharing my alcoholism with my close friends and they have been incredibly supportive. I'm 17 days sober now that it's officially Wednesday and I don't think I could be in this great place without the support of SR and my friends. Keep posting and sharing and welcome!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Suzy. You do have an off switch, it just isn't a dimmer switch. Everyone with this problem reports the same, eventually. If you don't take the first drink, the switch is off. If you try to use the dimmer switch to keep your drinking at a 'normal' level, it just won't work. You'll crank the thing all the way up every time.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it took most of us a few attempts

Originally Posted by Suzy77 View Post

I need to be accountable to someone and hope that by posting on this forum I will.
keep trying to stay sober Suzy
it took most of us a few attempts (more for me)
you need suffer no more

Mountainman
Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That was really well said foolsgold!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

from an electricians point of view

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Welcome Suzy. You do have an off switch, it just isn't a dimmer switch. Everyone with this problem reports the same, eventually. If you don't take the first drink, the switch is off. If you try to use the dimmer switch to keep your drinking at a 'normal' level, it just won't work. You'll crank the thing all the way up every time.
from an electricians point of view
I like that

Mountainman
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Suzy

many of us have the no off switch thing - but trust me - things can work out pretty well if you just leave it off

glad you've joined the posting side of things

D
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, I am so glad that I finally joined this site. The support is incredible. I feel so grateful to everyone who has posted. I honestly feel like I have been such a s$$tshow for so long it is nice to come to a place and be accepted. Thank you again to everyone. I have a real life support system that know of my problem, but they haven't been in my shoes like you all have.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

welcome suzy

Ive not off switch either.If I have one drink I don't want to stop.The only answer is never having the first drink.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just got thru another day one. I hope your tomorrow goes smoothly.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy, welcome. Once i started drinking, I didn't stop. Even one sip and I'd have to have one more. For me, it's none. It's very freeing to accept that you cannot drink. Very best wishes.