Notices

Wanting to drink

Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to drink

Almost two weeks sober. Feeling pretty good, but want to drink and smoke a cigarette. Maybe I will just go have coffee and a cigarette. I don't think I can quit drinking and smoking at once, but I don't know. Why do I want to drink after all the bad things I have done while drinking? I cannot quit drinking once I start, and I have no idea what will happen to me. But I am about to walk out the door to go the store for beer and cigarettes. This makes no sense, I worked all day, I am tired, and I just want to chill out with a drink.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ach its so much easier to not pick up that drink than it is to stop again. Now come on. You're tired. Have you eaten yet? Get a glass of milk some food. Put off going for ten mind and another etc.... keep posting....x
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ach...if you have to choose, go with the cigarette, you've come too far, you can tackle the smoking later. If you drink, all bets are off.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try the fast forward thought before you choose

Try to fast forward form the first drink to the aftermath of a hangover and the feelings of guilt, shame and remorse before you pick up that first drink. Is it really worth it ?

Trying to give up 2 addictions at the same time is tough ! I would say have a smoke and eat chocolate ! Giving up smoking is far easier than drinking, believe me. I managed to stop smoking 5 years ago and have never gone back. Cant say the same about my drinking.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Acheleus - its your mind playing tricks on you. Do you have a sponsor to call? Do you have some cigs without going to the store? Think about the 2 weeks and the work - you don't want to start all over do you?

For me talking about my urges helps the moment pass - I realize how absurd my thought process is and its the spell the toxins have on my brain making me think the way I do.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I suppose you're just thinking about drinking, and don't really want a drink because you really don't want the consequences.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just have a cigarette and some coffee already. I think this whole thing of quitting 2 addictions at once is just plain nuts. I remember an hour long discussion on this in rehab. The consensus was unanimous, even among the nonsmokers.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Ach its so much easier to not pick up that drink than it is to stop again.
This perspective is simple, yet perfect.

Ach, like you, I'm around 2 weeks. When the urge to drink threatens what I have accomplished, I find it helpful to drink a huge quantity of water, or even chilled herbal tea. Even if it doesn't make me feel "better" per se, the alcoholic in me knows that any alcohol I put in after will be dramatically... and for me at least, that removes some of the attraction.

Hope you're staring it down. With cigarettes, if that's what it takes.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I got those urges every night for quite awhile. Do you intend to give into them every night? I would tell myself "let's pretend we gave in last night and tonight is the night off that you bargained for if you drank last night." The more you say no the softer the voice gets.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Mate

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Normally an urge can be put down to one of those. Identify it, go "ah that's the problem" and once you know why, it's easy to deal with.

As for the cigarettes, yeah I always start my clean up by giving up everything. I do that because I have an addictive mind that doesn't do things by halves. And then I sort of come to my senses and realize that it's probably better not to overdo the whole clean-up thing and just concentrate on maybe one or two things - like drugs and alcohol. It's usually enough to be going on with

You're doing great by the way. Proud of you!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just tired and lonely. Going to drive to the frozen yogurt place. Birthday cake flavor here I come. Sorry I just have to post on here to get some good sense in my head when some evil part of me is screaming for a drink and stupid "companionship" at a bar.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never apologise, the only companion you'll meet at the bar is your old adversary alcohol, dont even engage him, enjoy your yoghurt and try and get some good rest x
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

no need to apologize - I get diarrhea of the posts when I have an urger, question or concern. People on here like to help, makes them feel good and posting helps the moment pass - good luck and enjoy the yogurt
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea I have been craving the stuff lately, I don't think it is as fattening as ice cream. I had pad thai for lunch and some farfalle for dinner. Trying to cut down on the fries and burgers, but like you guys said above, maybe focusing just on drinking for 6 months or so is the best way to go, then I can ditch cigs, etc. I really miss my cigarette and coffee while reading and grading papers.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sitting here at 8:11. Feeling similar to ach. Been 10 days since last drink, and my mind is givin mr hell. I cannot give in , cannot wait for meeting tomorrow
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We got to fight the URGE to SPLURGE on alcohol. I don't wanna go broke, and once I start I pretend I have millions of dollars. I am not going to be a pathetic drunk any longer, I am going to get my yogurt and read a little while. Going to counselor tomorrow too.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
We got to fight the URGE to SPLURGE on alcohol. I don't wanna go broke, and once I start I pretend I have millions of dollars. I am not going to be a pathetic drunk any longer, I am going to get my yogurt and read a little while. Going to counselor tomorrow too.
That's a great, great post. Congrats on finding the strength.

Keep it up.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job. You found a way to win today's battle. I can't speak for everyone, but the fact that you reached out, and made it through reinforces that I'll be able to do so also when the time comes. Awesome.

Btw, my town had zero frozen yogurt places a year and a half ago. Now we have four. It's like the 1980s all over again. My son (who wasn't around til 2006) loves that they're everywhere.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great work Ach. Where you are today compared to a few weeks ago is truly remarkable. Keep fighting the good fight and lean on SR when you need it. The urges will become less frequent and less intense over time, but its always good to have a back up. Have a great night.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. I posted first thing when I got home today and I was craving the devil's tincture. My yogurt was good and now I am going to read.