Notices

Higher Power

Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Higher Power

Had a fairly crap day Sunday.I'm 5 months clean and a bit emotional.I had an argument with my wife which I amplified a thousand times in my head...My reaction ..I stormed out of the house in a huff.I went to the gym and worked out in anger and swam in anger(pretty hard thing to do).My head was still gone and I had no intention in returning home so I went for an Ice cream in a local fast food place.Mc Flurry type.I ate while seething ,cursing in my head everything,the program,the big book, meetings and I had a general ****k em all attitude.Oh and I was also about 10 metre walk from 3 bars.I had in my bag a copy of 12 steps and 12 traditions which I picked up and started reading ...(with resentment) when I threw in the towel and said in my head "God you've won.There's nothing else I can do now except return to the darkness.I hand it over..
Outside the window of where I was perched along walks my sponsor.Pure coindicence.I ran out and grabbed him." Rob I'm in trouble". Half hour later I was ok.I worked Step 10 and slept soundly that night.I was on the fence about turning it over but I know in my gut my higher power helped me.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love stories like this. Reminded me of an experience I had a while back. Just found out my girl had been cheating on me. Prayed, turned it over, then ran to my sponsor's workplace because the god thing didn't really help. My sponsor had left work early, and I drove away in even worse shape. As I was leaving I saw another guy from the program crossing the street, a guy I wasn't too crazy about. I thought, god must want me to talk to him as he wasn't someone I normally ran into. So I asked if he needed a ride. He said I could drive him to the bus stop. I told him what was going on with me, and he had nothing comforting to offer. Just an "women all suck" kind of mentality. I turned the corner to drop him at his bus stop, and lo and behold, my sponsor was standing there waiting for the same bus. Picked up my sponsor and we spent the rest of that very healing day together. Coincidence? Maybe, but not as far as I'm concerned.