Hello.....

Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello.....

I am new and my first attempt at asking for help. This may be a bit verbose, sorry..... My husband has been an an alcohol abuser for years, but in the past 3 years, it was out of control. I apparently fell in the typical pattern of helping him hide it, and making my life particularly miserable. I won't go into all details, likely many already know them, so lets go to current circumstances. He tried to recover in March, had a horrible relapse that almost killed him (or did it). He detoxed in the hospital with liver failure. He went to a Physical Therapy rehab facility to build strength for his atrophied muscles. He then had a fall, bumped his head. Due to liver failure, it resulted in a brain hermmoraghe (I am sure I spelled that wrong). They got the bleeding under control and he is out of the ICU..... he recognizes me now, knows who is president. That is what we are talking about as positives. Prognosis is undetermined....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some would probably call me a pro at brain bleeds. My husband has suffered 5 in the last 2 months. What you need to know is that the alcohol is probably the number 1 reason why he has the bleeding on the brain. My husband's neuro told him to imagine his brain as a raw steak. The alcohol is the meat tenderizer. When you tenderize meat, it breaks it down. The alcohol is breaking down the lining of his brain and thinning his blood. If there are any weak spots in the lining, these will be where the bleeds occur. Think of someone on blood thinners taking ibuprofen or aspirin. It's dangerous because they could bleed out. It's basically the same thing with alcohol. The fall could have started the ball rolling toward the bleeding. In my husband's case, it was a motorcycle accident.

So sorry you're dealing with this. I know it's hard.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Valeri2,

Welcome. I'm sorry you are going through this. Do you have family around to help you while this is happening? Anyone that is present?

I don't have anything but (((hugs))) to offer to you. But there are people here who have gone through or are going through this . I know they will soon be along her to share with you.

Be well,
Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you.... I am sorry you are dealing with it too. They gave him lots of platelettes to stop the hemorraghe since his own body couldn't. Assuming his mental faculties even return, rehabilitation is still the next issue, along with his liver failure. We have a 4 and a half year old. I realize I need to start just assuming I am rebuilding my life without him, but it breaks my heart
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

While we had cut off all of our friends, as soon as I opened up to them, they are all there.. they call themselves the "posse". They are the best friends in the world. Visiting him so I don't feel like i have to all the time, visiting me, taking me to lunch, babysitting, offering their homes so I am not alone. I am very lucky.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Of course it breaks your heart. While he is there, take care of you. He's where he needs to be. It's ok if you don't want to see him for a day or so because you are so tired or have other pressing issues. I know what it's like. Many here told me it's ok n it really is to just take care of you n baby.